Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Friday, March 02, 2007

Barnes & Noble Book Signing

I'm sure many of you are wondering how I did at the Barnes & Noble book signing in Newburgh, NY. Well, as far as book signings go it was a little disappointing, especially since it was at one of the most famous bookstores in the nation. Yet, as I keep emphasizing, mostly because it's something I'm learning as well, this isn't about my book, but about Jesus. In that sense the event was SPECTACULAR!

I was treated very well and have Carol Scalzo to thank for that. I was set up among the stationary and maps to the far left of the front door. And for the inquiring minds, yes I did come an hour early. After repeated announcements and only one person showing up early and then leaving, Carol relocated me just to the right of the main entrance. I began saying "Hi" and "Do you like mysteries?" to people coming in, with varied success.

I noticed a man with a walker. He was behind me at the magazines for some time. I didn't want to embarrass him, nor did I feel right about pushing my book off on someone in such obvious physical distress. Yet, as he came closer I asked him about his legs, hoping he'd tell me it was just a break or twist that needed time to be healed. As it turned out the man had Krone's disease. I then asked him if he liked mysteries. Wonder of wonder he said, "I only like reading Christian fiction." That's when I told him I was a Christian and this was indeed a Christian fiction novel. That was my first sale. He said, "Christians got to help out other Christians." I joyfully autographed a copy for him, more because I was in the presence of another brother in Christ than the fact that he was buying my book. He went on to tell me that he had died and been brought back to life several times, had no kidneys, several of the vertebrae in his lower spine had developed fractures and he had to go back to surgery. Yet he wasn't trying to gain sympathy. He was telling his testimony of how God was with him through all of this. We shared and encouraged one another. Towards the end we exchanged business cards and he said, "I may not be healed, but I live a healed life." What wonderful faith. This man's name is Rob. Please keep him in prayer and thank God for brothers like him in the family of God.

Next came a young man I allowed to take a copy of the book over to the side and read it. Turns out he was also a Christian. His name was Tim. He was soon to be married and was trying to get a job closer to home when he stopped in. We talked and shared and had a wonderful time. I gave him my business card as he didn't have money to buy the book. (I gave out a number of business cards that day)

Following his exit came a middle-aged professional woman with a white lab coat. Obviously, I thought, in a hurry to come in, grab something light and leave. I asked her what I'd been asking others, "Do you like mysteries?" She asked me what it was about. When I told her it was about a Christian detective and an agnostic CSI working together to solve a murder she became very pleased. It turns out she is Jewish and related my quick synopsis to the new "Jesus Family" stuff that's just hit the fan. In fact I mentioned that I wondered how far away this burial plot was, because they would have to take the body of Jesus down from the cross, carry it to this location, prepare it for burial (wrapping it in strips of cloth) and then bury it and return before Sundown, because the Sabbath began then and no Jew would travel or do any of these things on the Sabbath. That's when she told me she was Jewish. She may have been Jewish, but her mom is a converted Jew and is now a Christian. (Thank you "mom") As such this woman was very open to discussing ALL of Scripture, both Old and New Testaments, specifically trying to identify the personhood of God and whether or not Jesus could be divine. For the better part of 2 hours we talked. During this time one woman came up and purchased 2 copies of my book, "I just came in to get a couple of cards," she explained showing us the growing mound of books in her arm. When she left me and this Jewish woman continue until 10:30 or 10:45 talking about Jesus.

Why am I putting all of this on the CFRB site? Because THIS is what this site is about. It's not about becoming the best selling author, although I don't know of any author that wishes they couldn't at least be listed among the NY Times best sellers. But this was about spreading His Gospel and using fiction to open the doors that would otherwise have remained closed. I personally believe God brought me there for this one woman. Not only did He bring me there, but He prepared me in faith by bringing to me not ONE, but TWO of His servants prior to this meeting.

Looking at this book signing in the natural sense it was a failure. I could probably sell more books at the library where I work. Yet, in the spiritual sense this event was a beautiful success. May each of us claim Hebrews 12:1,2 as OUR verse. Not only does this verse tell us that we have the saints cheering us on and admonish us to "lay aside the sin that doth so easily beset us", but it tells us that Jesus is Our Author, the Finisher of Our faith. Just as we create our characters before we write, so also did God know us before the world was created. He knows how we will act, react, think, because He made us. As a writer this is such a beautiful truth, for Jesus is not only the Word, but the Author, and He, in His great joy and love and mercy, has given ME, little old me, a gift that is so much like Him. I can hardly contain the joy this gives me. I's sorry if this is a little long for some of you, but I am not sorry for writing it down. "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, for it is the power of God unto salvation." We are characters in God's novel, his heroes and heroines. Can you think of anything more wonderful than that, other than receiving the love and mercy of God through Jesus who shed His blood that we might be called the children of God? I can't. Well, maybe one thing, He has given us a gift, a talent that is so like Him that our relationship with Him is like that of our characters. We are the characters and they are us. They are real, alive and powerful. So in writing God enables me to do, in some small way, what He does, for He is the Great Author. Praise God! - David Brollier - author of THE 3RD COVENANT

No comments:

Pageviews past week