Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Sunday, April 01, 2007

INFINITE SPACE, INFINITE GOD

Day 1 Sunday



I'm not going to lie to you. I was a bit nervous about this one. I mean I grew up with a Pentecostal background, although I didn't see myself as judgmental. I felt that religion itself was wrong, and to a large degree maintain that opinion. So reviewing something that not only says it is a collection of Catholic works, but boasts about the fact put me on edge. Still, because of the contact I've had with Karina Fabian, who compiled this work with her husband Rob, I found myself timidly entering unchartered waters. While I think the “Catholic” bit was a bit overdone in some cases I have to remind myself that this was written BY Catholics and TO Catholics. No one is out to change anyone's denominational ties here. They are simply doing what writers have been told to do for ages, write about what you know, and they know Catholicism. I found out they knew a lot more as well.



In one very real sense this "Catholic" work stands as a "David" against the "Goliaths" of our day, reminding those of us from other denominational backgrounds that God is God and that taking our own personal experiences into the battle isn't always a bad thing. I would like to say this is a Christian work, and while this is true it is also a work by those refusing to be ashamed at being called Catholic. This is something many of us have forgotten.



One of my chief desires for touring INFINITE SPACE, INFINITE GOD, however, has nothing to do with Catholicism. Instead it has to do with the desire for CFRB to branch out to do short stories. This work, as well as LIGHT AT THE EDGE OF DARKNESS have helped in creating a bridge from here to there. Please check out the other sites and come back tomorrow when I'll tune in on one of the great stories in this work. I hope you will find these posts intriguing enough to go out and purchase this one of a kind book.




Featured at Twilight Times Books


Don't miss out on checking this site at Fabian Space


And don't forget to visit Infinite Space, Infinite God

1 comment:

Karina Fabian said...

For the sake of your readers, I'd like to clear up a couple of misconceptions.

Infinite Space, Infinite God is science fiction with a Catholic theme. However it was not written by Catholics only. Among our conributors are a Christian minister, non-Catholic Christians,and a member of the Ba'ha'i faith. I applaud the talents of these writers who can so effectively write about a faith they do not practice.

Secondly, even though it has a Catholic theme, it was not intended to appeal to Catholics alone. It's published by a secular press, Twilight Times, and its reviews have shown that non-Catholics have enjoyed the stories as well. I personally have enjoyed fiction of all faiths, and I would be grieved to find out non-Catholic readers would feel they could not enjoy ISIG.

Looking forward to your review of the stories.

Blessings,
Karina Fabian
Editor, Infinite Space, Infinite God
http://isigsf.tripod.com

Pageviews past week