Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Monday, June 04, 2007

The 3rd Covenant by our very own David Brollier!


This is Grace Bridges standing in for David, because he didn't want to do his own blog tour... Sorry I'm a bit late, but I only volunteered yesterday :)

I'm going to begin by posting my own review, written a short time ago after I first read the book. Enjoy!

Yeah, I know. I’m a science fiction freak. But ever since I first heard David making a lot of noise about his murder mystery, I’ve been curious about his work.

Let me tell you, this is not like any other book I’ve ever read. Sure, there are familiar elements: murderers, cops, clues and motives. There is a lot of focus on the teamwork between detectives Nat Adams and May Wish, and their interactions as Christian and atheist. Nat’s childhood in Hong Kong plays a big role too, along with the relationships within the Chinese community in his neighbourhood. While Nat and May are caught up in red tape for seeking police support in other states, help comes from an unexpected angle, as does the actual solving of the serial murders.

But what endeared it to me was the intensity with which the story is told from inside the head of the main character. The effect is rather like a memoir written years after the event, when the narrator knows a bunch of extra information he didn’t have at the time it happened. This makes for a fascinating, twisting plot that sometimes seems to leap into the head of other characters – something they tell us writers we shouldn’t actually do. Information is supplied that the main character couldn’t possibly have known at that point. Sometimes it was a little disconcerting, but it helped me to imagine Nat as an old man retelling a tale from his exciting life, including things that other people have later told him about the events. Then all the inner dialogues and back stories began to make sense.

In any case, it’s a page turner. The plot is full of surprises and hidden tidbits of wisdom. Listen to Nat talking about God:

"He is the source of the light. It's evil that has come between us and that source of light that casts its shadow on the world. As long as we see a shadow we know there is a source of light. That's where we should be heading. That's where we should be looking."

I found that scene to be one of those literary feats where you read fiction and just know that there’s truth in there. And this is one of the themes that make this a cheerful, positive book, even though it’s about murder. Yes, great evil exists. But there is a greater good, and Nat knows it, even when things get really tough.

As a non-American, I found a lot of the abbreviations were highly cryptic. But a picture is painted of New York with sharp edges, bright colours, rich textures, and normal everyday people – so that it feels up close and personal, even though I don’t know the city myself.

It’s a colourful mix of cultures and locations, investigation techniques, and interactions between Christianity, ancient Chinese religions, a dangerous cult, atheists, and the undecided. These clashes show the depth of personality on all sides, as many characters respect the views of the others and take the time to listen to the opposite party. Other figures are bent on defeating opposing viewpoints, but of course, every mystery needs bad guys. Sharp bantering mingles with a vaguely “road-movie” feel at times. And it’s almost a certainty that you’ll be surprised when the real truth comes out.

These are all aspects that make this book well worth reading, even though the writer has apparently broken all the rules of point-of-view style. I guess some people really can get away with it…

Look out for tomorrow's post, where I'll point you to some other places this tour is running.

No comments:

Pageviews past week