Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Friday, July 13, 2007

Seven Tours, Seven Stars

Just because we aren't currently touring a book, doesn't mean I should let this blog go silent. The fact is we have just completed our seventh tour. Each one has been really great. And although I was personally honored to have Terri Blackstock as our most recent guest, a very talented and mature writer, I'd have to say that there are some equally great "stars" on the rise. One of the things I've noticed among writers, especially Christian writers, is the feeling of camaraderie. There isn't a battle going on here to see who's the best. Any competition is carried out only to help ourselves and one another become even greater writers. So, let's look back over the past tours.

In January we toured ARMS OF DELIVERANCE, by Tricia Goyer. Tricia was already an established writer, although I had never heard of her before. Her book about two female reporters during World War II and the challenges they faced was an excellent springboard for CFRB.

In February we toured LIGHT AT THE EDGE OF DARKNESS, compiled by Cynthia MacKinnon. This anthology of Biblical speculative fiction was absolutely awesome. These writers are not only talented, but committed to the Lord, something you can sense in their works. Biblical speculative fiction was something new for me, and it actually covers a lot of territory, from light fantasy to supernatural thrillers (horror).

In March we toured THE CHRONICLES OF SOONE: HEIR TO THE KING, by James Somers. This interest mixture of fantasy and science fiction made for one of the most intriguing works I've read in a long time. His 2nd installment, THE RISE OF LUCIN is something I'm looking forward to reading.

In April we toured INFINITE SPACE, INFINITE GOD, compiled by Robert and Karina Fabian. This anthology of science fiction with a Catholic twist is utterly amazing. I love the way it deals with some social/spiritual issues, such as do clones have souls, how do you define life, as well as dealing with prejudice. While I still found LIGHT AT THE EDGE OF DARKNESS more to my liking, I have to admit that this is one superb work that should be on every fiction readers' shelf.

In May we toured PETTICOAT RANCH, by Mary Connealy. This was an old western, romantic/suspense that had me laughing at the way she played her characters against each other. It was refreshing and so realistic, hence the laughter. If I never back a romance again I will continue to rave over PETTICOAT RANCH. It's an amazingly fun read.

In June I was honored to have THE 3RD COVENANT, by me, David Brollier, toured by CFRB. I love it, but that's a biased appraisal. However, I can tell you that it was nominated by Deadly Ink for the BEST MYSTERY NOVEL OF 2006, and the WhoDoneIt newsletter carried me as their feature author for July. I'll let them and the other CFRB members brag about me if they wish.

In July, as I stated, we were honored to have Terri Blackstock as a guest and toured her new book TRUE LIGHT. This is the 3rd book in her Restoration Series, and it's interesting how she takes a global catastrophe and uses it as a vehicle to teach Biblical truths. In TRUE LIGHT the focus is on forgiveness. For too long this teaching has gone unpreached, untaught, and overlooked, yet it is so very necessary to our walk as Christians.

If any of these pique your curiosity you can go back over the past 7 months of posts and see more written about them, go to our CFRB Booktrailer page and view a trailer made for each of these books, or Google the author or book title. You may also find these books on Amazon with reviews written there. If I were you, I'd go to the booktrailer page first. It will give you a taste of what each book is about. Then you can decide which one you want to look into further. After that, well, purchase a copy or two. If you find one really great, and other names start coming to mind you may want to consider buy thing as gifts.

Having said all of that, don't forget that the year isn't up and we have other tours lined up. Beginning with the first full week in August we will be touring THE DUKE'S HANDMAID, a historical fantasy. I want to call it high fantasy, but Caprice Hokstad, the author, reminds me that it doesn't meet the requirements as it doesn't have dragons, magic potions, etc. Yet it does have a Tolkien feel about it which I'm sure you will all enjoy.

David

1 comment:

Andrea Graham said...

I just finished reading True Light by Terri Blackstock, the last book I signed up for before bowing out from the Christian Fiction Review Blog.

I found it fairly well written, although . . .

Ask Andrea

Pageviews past week