Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

TRUE LIGHT, by Terri Blackstock

Day 5 Thursday



Split Down the Middle


The loss of modern technology splits Oak Hollow. I suppose a more accurate word would be shatters, but when we look close we see the division – givers and takers, good and bad, accused and the guilty. That last one may strike you as odd, but not everyone who is accused of something is guilty of it, as Mark Green well knows.



What are some of the other “splits” we can see in TRUE LIGHT? I see a division between loyalty and betrayal. On the one hand Deni Branning is fiercely loyal to Mark, while others dedicate their time to framing him. The reasons become clear in the book, but as far as Deni is concerned we see a living out of 1st Corinthians 13. What is love? It is something that doesn't boast in itself, doesn't think evil of another, believes and endures all things. That's what Paul says in this powerful chapter on love. Although we are just beginning to see love blossoming between Deni and Mark, it is this love that forces her to believe in his innocence, even to fight for it with little more than her wit and her pen.


On the other side of this coin we see betrayal. I can't give you the names without ruining the story for you, but these were people Mark should have been able to trust, although he always knew them to be otherwise. While some may not call this hate, it sure isn't love, and it accomplishes the same thing as hate. It destroys, or at least attempts to destroy.


There's another one I see is between Sheriff Scarbrough and his deputies. Here's a man with a job to do, ill-equipped to do it, and hardly getting paid anything. He's sick, but he pushes on. His deputies begin to desert him one by one. They aren't getting paid enough to do the job they're called to do. And that's just the point, they were called to do a specific job. Money at this point is next to meaningless. It takes dedication and commitment to stay on the job. It would seem the town is sorely lacking men to fill this roll. That just makes things harder for Sheriff Scarbrough. Have things cropped up in your life where you could take the sheriff's road and dedicate yourself to it, no matter what, or turn around and quit? Which have you done? Which have I done?


While Mark's story is certainly the central thing that's going on, I think we all too easily overlook Sheriff Scarbrough. Even Deni gets seems to get more coverage than him, but his role here is crucial. His story is crucial. As Christians we are called to a task that isn't always pleasant. I have been told that speaking about God is inappropriate. Yet, I view my job as a Christian as one of standing at the edge of a bottomless chasm and crying out, “Don't jump!!!” Will someone tell me what's inappropriate in that? The only negative thing about this is that I do it far too little. Often my voice is stilled by my own personal concerns. When we start looking at this as something we are called to do, like the deputies, then maybe we can repent and start making a difference in this world.


Terri, I apologize if I'm using your book as a springboard for a sermon. That isn't my intent, but your story brings to mind so many different Biblical points I feel driven to share them. This, folks, is the reason I write. Not to become famous or rich (picture me laughing here). I write because I have a truth inside me that the world needs to hear. It's really quite simple and you don't need to be a writer to get it out. It's simply this, “Jesus loves you. Did you know that?” - David Brollier



Featured at Amazon


Be sure to visit Terri's website and find out a lot more about her and her writing than you'll find here. Terri Blackstock: Up All Night Fiction

1 comment:

Terri Blackstock said...

David, feel free to use my book as a springboard to a sermon. I say, "Amen, Brother!"

Pageviews past week