Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Friday, September 07, 2007

HIGH STREET, by Jack Stinson

Day 7 Saturday


I thought a good way to end this tour would be with an interview with Jack Stinson. It was getting way to hard to write posts without giving too much away. This interview, however, will give you an inside look at the author, his motivation for writing HIGH STREET and some other background information you may find interesting. I hope you enjoy it. So without further delay I present to you, Jack Stinson.


CFRB - We're here with Jack Stinson, author of HIGH STREET. Jack, tell us a bit about yourself. What kind of family background did you have?


RS - I grew up in what most would call a middle-class working family, just outside of a small town along Lake Erie. My father worked in a factory and did commercial fishing on the side. I worked on the fishing boats a lot as part of the crew. Nets, anchors, ropes… When I was in high school Dad formed a commercial fishing business with four partners and went into that full-time. The kids went to church once in a while; my parents didn’t. I became a Christian during my third year of college.


CFRB - What kind of family life do you have now?


RS - I’ve been married for about 28 years (gosh, I think that’s right!). I have a 25 year old daughter and a 16 year old son. We’re sort of an average suburban-type family in Columbus, Ohio. My daughter graduated from Bible college and is getting married this fall.


CFRB - What ministry involvements are you in?


RS -I’ve been a manager at a large software company for the past seven years. That, along with family stuff and the time I need to write, takes up pretty much all of my time. I’m not a part of any formal ministry right now. Church twice a week is about it right now.


CFRB - HIGH STREET isn't the soft-soap Christian novels people are used to. What led you to write it this way?


RS - The easy, completely honest answer: That’s the story that came to me. I just wanted to write that story, and write it in that manner. There is no such thing as “Just sowing some wild oats.” People get scarred for life, and sometimes they don’t survive it. Being “down & out” in the human condition is not pretty. I helped in an inner-city homeless ministry for about five years and saw a lot of ugliness. Above all else, I wanted realism.


CFRB - How were you able to describe getting high so accurately? Were you ever involved with drugs, or is this just from observation and research?


RS - All of the above. During my first two years of college I went to a lot of parties where college students did a lot of alcohol and drugs. Yes, I experimented some too. Though I was never pulled in to the extent that my main character was, I was close enough to see how someone could get completely lost in it. Then, years later, I heard many stories while working in a homeless ministry.


CFRB - You mentioned on your emails that this story grew out of working in a shelter. In what capacity did you work?


RS - My church had a homeless ministry, and I was one of the guys who went out in the vans. We would go out two at a time every Sunday morning, one driving and one riding. I would go into the various shelters and around the vicinity outside inviting the homeless to church. We served breakfast before church and then lunch afterward. (Then we would bring them back and drop them off where we had picked them up—which was really hard.) I would eat with the homeless folks and then sit in their Sunday School class with them. I got to see and hear a lot.


CFRB - What do you hope to achieve by writing HIGH STREET?


RS - I hope that Christians reading High Street will gain some empathy for the homeless. Maybe parents and teenagers will get a dose of sober fear about how easy it is for someone at that stage of their life to mess up big time. I also hope any non-Christian reading the story will think about the greater meaning of life…God, death… The greatest thing I could hope for is that this book would be instrumental in someone accepting Christ.


CFRB - Is there anything you'd like to add or say that I haven't addressed?


RS - No, I think you’ve been very thorough in your questions.


CFRB – Thanks Jack for taking some time with us. I think we'll be able to appreciate HIGH STREET better from knowing its author better. May God bless the work of your hands.


Featured at Infinity Publishing


as well asBarnes and Noble


And of course
Amazon.com

1 comment:

Caprice Hokstad said...

Great week of posts and all wrapped up nicely in this interview. I hope Jack realizes how much work you put into this tour. It could not have been easy.

Pageviews past week