Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

FLASHPOINT, by Frank Creed

Day 4 Wednesday



I thought it would be good for CFRB to take a closer look at a couple of points that seem to be, at least, doctrinally confusing. Frank was eager to help us here. - David Brollier

CFRB - Frank, in describing the Body of Christ and using the term "reformation" you seem to be doing a couple of things that throws me off. David and Jen Williams are Christians, but according to FLASHPOINT they aren't part of the Body of Christ. That was one point that bothered me.

Frank - Thanks for asking about the Body of Christ. I'd spelled out the distinction in a rough-draft early-chapter, but learned the scene was what reviewers call a data dump. I had to take out the scene and redistribute the details.

I hint that the organized saints in the underground work under the name "The Body of Christ". Later, in a late scene with a character called Matron, the topic comes up. Matron explains to Calamity Kid that his parents were in a tough spot.

I think in my rewrites I lost the detail that believers still living in the One State are made to sign citizenship documents denying belief in any "word of God".

I've made a note to clear this up early-on in War of Attrition: Book Two of the Underground.


CFRB - When you added the mindware "reformation" thing into the mix it was almost as if you were replacing the work of the Holy Spirit in a person's life with human technology. Help us out here. Why did you opt for going this route in telling your story? Did you feel it was necessary?

Frank - The Holy Spirit's in the lives of Christians still in the One State--in the lives of those in David & Jen's home church that was busted--just the same as He's in ours. The Holy Spirit does not make us three times stronger than a normal human, or five times faster, or upload the entire Bible instantly into our memory, or allow us to understand and speak most languages, or turn our muscles and nerves into targeting systems for projectile weapons. Early-on in War of Attrition: Book Two of the underground I better explain the concept of reformation. God acted into time and space both at the Fall of man, and at the Great Flood. At the Fall man's relationship to the world around him, God, and himself were changed. At the Great Flood God changed, at the very least, the human lifespan. In War of Attrition Lightfast explains to Calamity Kid that the effect of the Fall and Great Flood on human beings was like dropping one of his delicate laboratory instruments, that he has to recalibrate.

Here is another related point that other reviewers had a problem with. The Spiritual cannot be apprehended by physical means. Reformation is not an injection of spirituality; the process nudges the body back into better alignment with the soul, making us more like he'd intended us to be.

I did explain in Flashpoint that God was giving back a little bit of what it was like before the Fall. This is very deliberate, and I cannot give away the secret until the last book in the series. I only have two sequels outlined, so I don't know how long it will be before I can tell you how and why God is doing this so deliberately. Can't blow the big finish! Hope this helps!


CFRB – Thank you for your time, Frank, and for a truly remarkable book. I think any reader who likes a little action in their life and doesn't read FLASHPOINT is going to be missing out on a lot. I know that I'm ready to read the 2nd book already. - David Brollier


Sold with the big boys at Amazon Books


Don't miss out on checking this site at Make Room for FLASHPOINT


Yellow 30 Sci-Fi's July Feature book and 2008 Pluto nominee
Feature Author, Frank Creed


You also may be interested in the Yellow30 Sci-Fi review
Their review of FLASPOINT

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

David,

Just to let you know that I've been keeping up with and summarizing the tours posts at A Frank Review

cathikin said...

Nice interview. I am glad you gave Frank a space to clear up those points. Yes, he did lose the detail about people signing a document denying belief in the word of God.

David said...

Thanks again. Normally I like to give an author some space for an interview, but here it was more important. Since Frank seemed to take away everything we've been taught it seemed only fair to have him explain what he was doing. I think he did a superb job, both in the book and in the interview. I'm already looking forward to book 2.

David

Pageviews past week