Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Thursday, October 11, 2007

FLASHPOINT, by Frank Creed

Day 5 Thursday



One of the neatest and craziest things you'll find in FLASHPOINT is the creation of various technological advances and street slang. How one comes up with the way people will talk in 29 years is beyond me, but it works. Com-vision and brain wave technology are just two of the technological advances that Creed introduces to give the story an amazing power. The challenge, he once told me, is not in the creation of such technology or street jargon, but trying to do so before it comes about and then gets obsolete. So, what Frank Creed has done in FLASHPOINT is nothing short of a marvel in itself, on those grounds alone.

He seems to take the cellphone society of today, mingle it with our passion for the Internet, and then tweaks it a bit so that we have, what he calls “com-vision”. Forget camera phones, which after 40 years of promising, have finally made it to the market, com-vision seems to be a visual, voice or keypad system of cruising the web. In a way it's like that flip phone you have, but much, much more sophisticated. Only Frank's not done yet.

We are introduced to “brain wave” technology, the ability to wear a suit that will integrate with a person's brain, giving them abilities that those without BW suits do not have. This is called “mindware”. You're going to find out who invented the BW technology, and further developed it, as well as the existence of at least two different levels of BW suits.

So what does that mean to you the reader? It means that you are going to go on the ride of your life. You'll find Calamity Kid and Legacy battling it out with the Neroes after the fashion of Jackie Chan or Bruce Lee, with a mixture of John Wayne and Clint Eastwood thrown in for good measure. Oddly enough, the mixture gives you a swashbuckling feel, which is another genre altogether. And that's just the Sandmen. There's websurfing for readers to enjoy in a way that you may never have thought possible.

As I'm writing this I'm reminded of the movie “The Matrix”. Everything I've said is similar to that, only with FLASHPOINT, Frank Creed takes off where The Matrix left of or got completely wrong. There's no guessing which world is real and which is not. The Body of Christ has been forced Underground, but, like in the Matrix, it is far from docile. The Matrix talks about a prophesied messiah, only Neo doesn't know about this, or that he's supposed to be this messiah. In FLASHPOINT, the Messiah isn't someone we're waiting for. It's someone who already came, even Jesus. We serve Him with all our being out of our love for Him and all His people. We do not walk blindly around wondering if this or that is going to happen. For while this physical war is being fought, and even the spiritual war, the ultimate battle was already won by Jesus on the cross. Now that's something to inspire love for Him.

I have the privilege of having the name David, so I can relate to the ancient King of Israel, and I can relate to Calamity Kid. We share the same name, the same love for our Lord. Hopefully I will be used as greatly as my namesake or even as Calamity Kid (although I don't see myself spinning through the air over the enemy while “napping” Neroes. I see myself as someone who can put a few words together and make people think, make them consider the wonderful gift of God's grace in His son. - David Brollier


Sold with the big boys at Amazon Books


Don't miss out on checking this site at Make Room for FLASHPOINT


Yellow 30 Sci-Fi's July Feature book and 2008 Pluto nominee
Feature Author, Frank Creed


You also may be interested in the Yellow30 Sci-Fi review
Their review of FLASPOINT

2 comments:

cathikin said...

I love the slang and techno words, too. I admire Frank for the spiff job he has done in this area.

David said...

Yeah, if I could really get the hang of it (in writing it myself that is) I'd introduce another character for Frank's flash fiction. I'm really busy, but I'd like to do that, only I doubt it would come out with the same focal power that I'd need to pull it off. The only possible way I can do this is to create an alternate slang used by people of a somewhat different status. We'll see. :-)

David

Pageviews past week