Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Friday, December 07, 2007

WIND FOLLOWER, by Carole McDonnell



Day 6 Friday


As a special treat, I asked Carole McDonnell to give us some background on the story, as well as some of the goals she hopes to achieve. I found her comments particularly enlightening. I hope you find them just as satisfying. - David


Carole McDonnell

The story is set in an alternate Africa where three tribes live. The ruling tribe is called the Doreni and are ancestor worshipers. A sojourning tribe is the Ibeni and they are animists. The native tribe is the Theseni and they have a dualistic God who is a combination of a destroyer and a Creator.


I guess I created an alternate Africa because I like alternate history. In this case, if I had stuck to Africa as it really is/was, I would've had to know Asian history, Native American history, African history, and all kinds of history. I would've had to choose what tribe the Doreni were really descended from and where they came from. That would've limited me. I wouldn't have been able to choose each tribes' religious practices at will.


The cultures, as they are in the book, have customs I picked up from my love of anthropology, comparative religion, etc. There's a great book out there by Don Richardson called "Eternity in their hearts." It's about how folklore and paganism points to the Christian gospel. For instance, the many ideas in so many cultures about a pure sacrifice. I wanted to show that the pagans had a witness that would lead them to the gospel if the bringers of the gospel cared enough to understand the pagans' culture.


I also wanted to show my love for the Bible. There are three important things in Wind Follower: the Lost Book, marriage, and hospitality.


The law of hospitality was chosen because I wanted to show that God had put a hook in this particular culture that would lead them to the gospel. That hook would be the Bible verse: "I was wounded in the house of my friends." The Doreni culture is very aware of the sin of being inhospitable. Just as the ancient Israelites were aware of sinfulness. The Doreni consider the lack of hospitality akin to sin and they have a prophecy about a Host wounded by a Guest.


Marriage is also important in the book. It has to be because I wanted, on a personal level, to write a book about marital faithfulness.


But the most important thing is the Lost Book. The Bible...and the proper interpretation of it. In fact, at the end of the novel, the Lost Book has been given to all the tribes, but the meaning of it has been tainted somewhat because the demonic elements have created denominations who are more concerned with their own issues than they are with directly serving the Creator. That was very important to me. I get so tired of hearing Christians get into denominational issues and forget our wonderful Bible and our dear Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.


I hope Wind Follower shows the love and honor I have for the Bible and the distaste I have for denominational and clerical infighting.


As you can see, WIND FOLLOWER isn't just another book. It's not even another Christian book. It's a story that is aimed at all the false teachings we've let divide the Body of Christ for hundreds of years. She takes Christianity back to what it really is, a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. Denominations have stripped much of the truth from us just as surely as Okiak and the other shamans in the various clans. The story even tells us that the Lost Book wasn't really lost in the common sense of the word. It was defiled by people changing it and writing books of their own to alter what the real book said to fit their own agendas. And the sad thing about this is, we're still doing it. Jesus didn't die on the cross to start a famous religion. He died on the cross because He loves you. That is the basis of this story, and until we, as His children, start to wake up to that fact, we will be among the many who Jesus said would fall away during the end times. I know this isn't a pretty post, but it's not a pretty story. It's the truth. The truth isn't always pretty, but it is always the truth. - David




On sale at Amazon Books


As well as Juno Books


You won't want to miss her blog either at
Carole McDonnell's Blog


Plus if you'll Google her name or WIND FOLLOWER, you'll come up with a ton of other links as well.

1 comment:

cathikin said...

Thank you for all the details, Carole. It helps to explain the depth of subject matter in this book. It could spawn so many interesting discussions. Hopefully, it will birth much more than that in the hearts and spirits of the readers.

Pageviews past week