Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Saturday, December 08, 2007

WIND FOLLOWER, by Carole McDonnell



Day 7 Saturday


There seems to have been a lot of chatter of this story that preceded this tour. Some had concerns about one thing, others had concerns about another, but the fact remains, WIND FOLLOWER is an intricately woven story, true to the reality she created, full of colorful and realistic characters. I suspect any detractors were only expressing their personal tastes in fiction. I stated right off that I had some of these concerns. That doesn't mean this book isn't something that should not be explored. If you like this style of writing you will be greatly enriched by WIND FOLLOWER every step of the way. Even those who had problems with the style couldn't help but find many things about this story which captured their minds and heart.


WIND FOLLOWER is first and foremost, at least in my mind, a romance, one filled with pitfalls and trials that they had to overcome. In fact, the only thing that separates this from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, was the ending. Can love exist among these “Montagues” and “Capulets”? It is a tale of a loving and personal God trying to bring His truth to people who would refuse it. A tale of those who would accept His Truth as opposed to those who would refuse it. It is the parable of the “Sower and the Seed” found in the Gospels. You reap what you sow. Loic and Satha, even in the days before they realized God was someone who took a personal interest in their lives, placed their trust in Him, and they bore good fruit. It is a tale of how prejudice isn't bound to race or color, but lives in the hearts and minds of all people. Only the brave and courageous overcome that evil within themselves. And, my personal favorite, it is a tale of how religion can destroy a people instead of offering hope and salvation through a relationship with Jesus Christ.


I want to expound on that last point. How many times have you heard of a denomination saying you can't do this or that, or that you have to do such and such to be a Christian? Where do they get their authority? Certainly not from Scripture. When the disciples wanted to stop a man from casting out demons in Jesus' name, He told them, “Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. For he that is not against us is on our part. For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward.” (Mark 9:38-41) I tell you this truth, unless Christians get back to Scripture and realize that being a Christian is a personal matter, a relationship with God through Jesus Christ, and not a list of dos and don'ts, we're going to come under the same wrath of God as the unsaved, maybe more. After all, we who claim to know the truth, should impart that truth, not some man's definition of what that might be. WIND FOLLOWER takes aim at man's twisting of the truth and lets loose with both barrels. I'm proud of her for that, and pray that this message hits home in time. We don't have time to be playing games. Even if I didn't believe we were in the end times. How long does a person live? 75, 85, 95 years or so? After that their ability to reach the lost is over. Or to be even more clear. Think of the circle of people around you. Those you go to school with or work with, how many times does this group change? Or when you move from one place to another, don't you lose an entire mission field? Be watchful and diligent, for you may never get the chance to reach these people that are around you now ever again. God has placed that annoying neighbor next door so that you might reach them with the love of God. He found that job you have for the same reason. How many times will we go from mission field to mission field without reaping a harvest, or at least planting some seeds? Yes, Carole, I had trouble with your particular writing style, but I am behind you 200% when you start requiring God's workers in His fields to stop coming back to Him empty handed. Jesus said the fields were white unto harvest. He said the laborers are few. How sad that must make Him, and I'm as guilty as anyone else. I go out into a field and return with one or two apples in my sack at harvest time. I plant seeds only when it is convenient to me. I am not Loic. I am not Satha. I am not that brave. I am not that willing to step out of my comfort zone for my Lord. I wish to be, and with God's help will be more and more successful at this. What about you? Do you hold to the traditions of men like idols of stone or precious metals? Or are you willing to do what the Lord of lords asks of you, wherever and whenever He asks? Are you willing to follow the wind? She choses this word, “wind”, by no accident. In both the Hebrew and the Greek the same word for “wind” also means “breath” and “spirit”. Are you willing to let God's wind fill your with life and then move you along to do His will? This is the challenge, not that Loic is WIND FOLLOWER, but that YOU might become a wind follower as well.




On sale at Amazon Books


As well as Juno Books


You won't want to miss her blog either at
Carole McDonnell's Blog


Plus if you'll Google her name or WIND FOLLOWER, you'll come up with a ton of other links as well.

1 comment:

cherryblossommj said...

David... I would love to join the Christian Fiction Review... Can I get details?

http://cherryblossommj.blogspot.com

cherryblossommmj(at)gmail[dot]com

Pageviews past week