Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Monday, January 07, 2008

TIME MASTERS, BOOK ONE: THE CALL by Geralyn Beauchamp



Day 2 Monday



We get the feeling that Dallan MacDonald is the centerpiece of this novel, but while that may be true, there are other characters that we will meet who come to the forefront. However, let us look at Dallan for a moment. Snatched from his own time period during a raid by the Campbells on his family, Dallan isn't certain of the fate of his brother, Alisdar. He is more than just sad, he's angry, angry at the person who took him, a man by the name of Kwaku Awahnee. Kwaku is the current Time Master, Dallan is his protoge. For ten years Kwaku comes out and fights Dallan, the only one man enough to stand up to “the bloody heathen” as Dallan calls him. But Kwaku has a reason for all this. His laughter is annoying, and Dallan always loses. It's not that he loses, but how he loses that makes you like Dallan. He is determined never to give up.


We learn more about Dallan as John Eaton, Lord Councilor, interviews him. Through Eaton's eyes we begin to see a person of many dimensions. He's not just a rough Highlander, waiting for a fight, he's a real human being with a full range of emotions, most of which he keeps hidden. With the help of Lany's son Vyn, the Scot's defenses begin to crumble and we see a caring individual, someone who is homesick. Yet, as we later learn, he's more than homesick, he's longing for something that he can't pin down right away. It's something, someone who haunts his dreams. A girl he met when he was a young child.


Now, I may be off base here, but this is what came through to me as I read this book. Those of us who have grown up in Christian families, especially those who have accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior when they were a child, can identify with Dallan. We give our heart to Jesus when we're children. Our child-like love and faith knows no limits. We are filled with joy, made complete. As we grow older, the tendency is to forget that child-like love. We let all the things in the world crowd in. Later on we realize there's an emptiness. Have we lost our salvation? No, but we've lost our fellowship of love with our Lord. The thing is, we really don't know what it is at first. As we try to find out what is causing this emptiness, we slowly begin to realize what the problem is, only we don't know how to deal with it. We struggle, just as Dallan does, against the true call on our lives. Only when we surrender are we on the right track, but there is still a long way to go. We read the Word, we pray, we work to get back to love, but everything is a struggle. This story should remind us how precious our relationship with Jesus is. Instead of fighting and struggling we need to learn to surrender to God, totally and completely. It was easy as a child, but now we think we have things of value. The truth is that we only have things, things that are pretty stupid. Nothing in this world lasts. The only thing of value is the love of God. When we lose that we have nothing. If we don't find it again we will surely die.





Featured at her own site Welcome to Time Masters

You can find it at Barnes and Noble

As well as at Amazon

And of course at Cold Tree Press





7 comments:

ForstRose said...

David,

I can't speak for the author but as many times as I've read the book I agree with you about the closing paragraph of this post. Call it surrender, trust, whatever word in that vein you might pick I know I struggle with it on a continuing basis. I also think what you say here links back to the whole theme of purity and virtue in the book as well. We give our attention and "worship" to things and people instead of remaining faithful to our Lord and respecting the sanctity and purity of the unconditional love He wants to bless us with.

Melissa

cathikin said...

I love your whole take on the emptiness and the fellowship that we are looking for.

David said...

The amazing thing about this book is that it doesn't slam you with a lot of Scripture or preaching, but the teaching hits you just the same, each of us where we need to be hit. This "struggle" that we all go through would be much easier if we would just surrender. Does that sound familiar? It should, it's in the book. If only Dallan would stop struggling and accept the truth things would go right. We struggle, not so much to accept the truth, as to find it. All God requires of us is to surrender to Him, for He is the Truth. And yes, it is a daily struggle because we are trapped in these sinful bodies. So we must do what Dallan does. Ignore the feelings and situations that have our head spinning and just focus on loving God. It wasn't easy for him and it isn't easy for us, but God gives us strength to continue. We have to make the choice to do so.

TWCP Authors said...

David,

You put so much thought and effort into your posts and have a real way of drawing readers into the book.

I've not read Time Masters, but I sure look to doing so based upon your posts.

--cyn

David said...

If I have "... put so much thought and effort into your posts and have a real way of drawing readers into the book", then I have done my job well. When that happens I can only give all the glory to God. Of course Geralyn didn't give me much choice BUT to love such a wonderful work. I feel the same about some of the other works we toured last year, but this one kinda hit me hard and spoke volumes to my heart. So if you hear a singing in the night, it may just be the Muiraran in me feasting on the Word of God because of this book.

Geralyn Beauchamp said...

You know, I am truely humbled reading these posts. While writing TM so many years ago, (1994to be exact) I could sense something else going on during the process. I was just as clueless as to what would happen next in many scenes just as any reader would be. I just wrote what I saw and heard. I had somewhat of an outline, but not much. I only knew where I wanted to end up at the end of the book! As the book's tag line goes, "Get ready for one wild ride," it certainly was! I knew other things were going on in the process of the story building, the characters developing. I thought at the time it to be my own heart getting a real workout. But it wasn't my heart doing much of that work. After reading all these posts, I see now whose heart it really was at work in between the lines, so to speak. And He is obviously speaking! I just wrote it to see if I could get through something like that! And it kept me sane during a very difficult time in my life. (Maybe that's why it wound up being so long!) And then, as you all know, I put it away. In a trunk. For a very long time ... and now it is blessing so many. I had no idea there was so much tucked into the story, so neatly hidden. Treasures to be pulled out by those who need them. Isn't God's timing a wonderful thing? Again, you all so humble me. And I thank you!

David said...

I identify with you Geralyn. I've told people it's like sitting down and taking notes on a movie I watched. Everything seems to catch me off guard. Perhaps the problem I'm having with book 3 is I'm trying to be "professional" instead of letting the characters run with it.

And yes, TM is like a trunk filled with treasures. The more you read it, the more treasures you come away with. Now that has got to be God.

Stay humble sis. It is what makes you great. Scripture tells us that whoever exalts themselves God will humble, but whoever humbles himself God will lift up. I have seen this come true in quite a few of our authors here.

Pageviews past week