Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Saturday, January 12, 2008

TIME MASTERS, BOOK ONE: THE CALL, by Geralyn Beauchamp



Day 7 Saturday



As we come to the final day of the tour of TIME MASTERS, by Geralyn Beauchamp, I want to say that I could write a lot about this marvelous book. It is doled out to us in such a marvelous manner that we can talk about the plot, the characters, the sub-plots, the genre and how it fits, and more. I've chosen to talk about some of the prominent characters because I'm a character-driven writer. So delving into this book in that manner just makes sense, especially when the characters are so wonderfully created. I wanted to have an interview with Geralyn, but time and space didn't allow me to do so. I'm real sorry about that.


There are those who might say that there is precious little science in this science fiction. Well, that's because the story isn't about the science or the technology so much as it is about the people in it. Sure there is time travel, but we aren't really told how this is achieved. There are communicators and a few other things. Yet this is a story about a civilization that desperately needs a certain man to fall in love with a certain woman, and that woman must fall in love with him as well. It is a love story, which ordinarily would send me running in the other direction, but this is done so well that I find it difficult to put down. Remember, we use our genres not so much so we can focus on the aspects of the story that make these stories fit these various genres, but because certain genres are a way of telling the story that we wish to tell.


In speaking with the author I know that this is a story that she wished to tell, one that God inspired her to tell. She has been faithful in every area in doing so. I still find some of the exclaimatory statements to be almost laughable, but overall I find that she hasn't told the whole story. She has left us hanging, even though she brings THE CALL to a satisfactory ending. There was a time when I was cliff-climbing and fell, breaking loose some of the protective features, while others remained in place. The whole event took only a few seconds, but from my point of view everything seemed to be going in slow motion. One thing I remember very clearly is watching myself reaching out to find something to grab hold of when I first felt myself slip. It was like watching things in slow motion. I watched my hand slowly reach out and was thinking, “I'm not going to catch that rock in time.” TIME MASTERS is just like that. It's like an adrenaline-filled fall where time has sped up so fast that it seems to be going in slow motion. There's a knowledge of things passing by us as we fall, the view of things as we reach out to gain our bearings, but even with as slowly as Beauchamp hands it out, we know we aren't going to reach it in time. Take all the rush and thrill of a rolller coaster, get in, pump it up a few notches, but then only allow you to view it in slow motion. It doesn't make things any less enjoyable or stressful. If anything the stress is increased, making it more enjoyable. I'm really not sure how she does it. Maybe Geralyn Beauchamp is a Muiraran herself, and we are all experiencing something akin to a type of time travel. You'll have to read it to find out.





Featured at her own site Welcome to Time Masters

You can find it at Barnes and Noble

As well as at Amazon

And of course at Cold Tree Press





3 comments:

Geralyn Beauchamp said...

Wow! Great conclusion, David! You amaze me with your insights!
I am so blessed that Melissa found you1 I cannot tell you how much!

David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David said...

The authors who have come to CFRB have amazed me, and you are not an exception. I fully believe that God is in control of who comes here and who stays away. That being said, it is my honor, my deep privilege to read, let alone write posts and a review on such a great work. You have done our Master proud. Thank you.

Pageviews past week