Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Sunday, January 06, 2008

TIME MASTERS, BOOK ONE: THE CALL



Day 1 Sunday



When I first heard of TIME MASTERS, BOOK ONE: THE CALL it sounded like something I could really get into. Then it came in the mail. 566 pages long and thicker than my Bible. How was I possibly going to read this monstrosity in time to do the posts for the January tour? I was so afraid of it because of the length I even put off starting to read it for several days. Then something happened. Call it a miracle. Call it running into the most fluid, captivating, exciting and thrilling novel I've read in a very long time, but I found myself flipping pages faster than I thought possible. I'm a slow reader by both physical design and intent. What that means is that I have slightly poor eyesight and like to read slowly so I can enjoy the story. I found myself having difficulty reading this slowly. I think if my eyesight were any better I may have breezed through this wonderful work and missed all the amazing things I found between the covers.


I am constantly overwhelmed by he people who come to CFRB with a book to tour. Often these books have been turned down by mainstream Christian publishers, so I get to read works that are far better than I would normally read among Christian fiction. One of the big complaints I hear in the writer's groups about Christian fiction is the predictability of most published works. This isn't so much a put down on the authors as it is on the industry that is supposed to be showcasing Christian works as the best published works. Rather than get into that, however, let's talk about TIME MASTERS, by Geralyn Beauchamp.


She starts with a prologue, a technique that I love to use, but have been told that is often ineffective because it's overlooked. Not here. We start our story in the most unsuspecting of places, Glencoe, Scotland; February 13th, 1692. Here we meet the main character, Dallan MacDonald. Beauchamp does a fantastic job of getting the reader to see and understand Dallan MacDonald right from the start. One of Geralyn Beauchamp's greatest skills, may not be her fantastic story telling, but her ability to use action to describe people and surroundings. You are familiar with the small cottage, feel the warm of the fire in the hearth, sense the concern the MacDonalds have over the Campbells coming in and serving papers forcing them to house English soldiers. All of this happens in the prologue. It gives us a wonderful sense of color and drama, but even more importantly, it helps us see, feel and understand Dallan MacDonald. Oh yes, and we also catch a glimpse of a large dark warrior, with a deep laugh. We learn more about him throughout the epic.





Featured at her own site Welcome to Time Masters

You can find it at Barnes and Noble

As well as at Amazon

And of course at Cold Tree Press





9 comments:

Omar Cruz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Geralyn Beauchamp said...

And to think David, when I first wrote it way back when, the book was over 750 pages! I cut quite a bit out of John and Dallan's time together during the interviewing process Dallan goes through. After all these years, I still have the original draft too. It's really big! YIKES!

Caprice Hokstad said...

I never would have pegged you as fearing long books! You always write such great reviews and your love of fiction is evident. Geralyn--750 pages??? Oh wow. Are all twelve books this long? How big a shelf am I going to need?

cathikin said...

I had teh same fears when I first swa the book, David. I even put it off a little, reading some tiny 200 page books first. But, like you, I was immediately sucked in to the great story and great characters.

David said...

Wow! I'm impressed with the initial comments. Way to go kid.

Omar, good luck selling realestate, but that's not why we're here. We're here to tell people about the love of God, that He pay your death sentence by taking on the form of man and dying for you. That's why we're here.

Geralyn, what can I say, I've always advised people that the only way to write is to start at the beginning and keep writing until you get to the end. You must have had a lot of fun, and I suspect are still having lots of fun.

I love it Caprice. I'm wondering about where I'm going to put up a new bookshelf. I have the world's greatest works by little known authors. Do you realize what these books will be worth in a few years and these same authors are NY Times Best Sellers?

Cathikin, what can I say? If a story is good, the length doesn't matter, and TIME MASTERS is REALLY GOOD. I'm glad it's not over yet. I remember the feelings of deflation I felt when I finished Tolkien's LORD OF THE RINGS. I wanted it to go on and on. I feel the same about TIME MASTERS and about many of the others who are writing trilogies or series. I can hardly wait to read them. On the other hand there are a couple I won't bother, not because they're bad, but because they are too realistic and harsh. I want to like reading.

ForstRose said...

David,

I've read Geralyn's tome multiple times as I'm sure she'd corroborate and am still finding new nuggets this time around. I don't normally reread a book or want to right away yet this book consistently draws me back for another expedition.

Also my tour post is up at Bibliophile's Retreat.

Melissa

Geralyn Beauchamp said...

Golly gee guys, when I pulled it out of the trunk last year I MYSELF was sucked into the story! For one, I hadn't read it in about ten years, so it was like I was not the author, but merely a reader. And I read it several times, not only to edit, but because I forgot how much fun it was! And I always cried in the same spot too. Of all places, when Kitty is saying goodbye to Shona at the end of the book and begging her not to leave her behind ...

Oh, and can't say what the length of the other books will be. But we'll find out! I suspect close to the same length as TM1. :) And just as fun!

David said...

There are a bunch of us willing to tackle reading a book of this length (or greater) if you will write it with the same fun and flair as you have the first book. In my post on Christian Mystery Writers I wrote that you were both Dallan and Shona, that you had to be convinced of your abilities before you even tried publishing. Then again, I may be wrong. You may be more like Kwaku, standing back and enjoying the work of God in His timing.

Geralyn Beauchamp said...

Pretty much all three of them, David, all three ... and a few more to boot in the rest of the series!

Pageviews past week