Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Sunday, February 03, 2008

NOR IRON BARS A CAGE, by Caprice Hokstad



Day 2 Monday


The Meaning of Love

People have this tendency to believe that love is some kind of feeling. Well, I suppose there is a type of love that is like that. The trouble is people have this incredible talent of losing that kind of love. True love, the kind that matters, is when you chose to love. Take a free Itzi girl named Keedrina. She chose to love Duke Vahn. It didn't matter if she could ever even think of marrying him, as long as she could serve him at Rebono Keep, the Duke's castle. NOR IRON BARS A CAGE starts out with this background. The Itzi is no longer a free woman, but a freewill slave. She has chosen to serve Master Vahn in whatever capacity he saw fit. Just before this 2nd installment of “The Ascendancy Trilogy” gets started it is this love that wins his heart and they are secretly married.


False love sometimes will stop at that, because marriage is a goal. Yet for kee, that is Keedrina's slave name, her goal has always been to serve Duke Vahn. Getting married didn't change that. In fact she's the only one I know who wears 5 wedding wrings, the slave bands on her wrists, ankles and about her neck. She wears them with pride. She seeks out her husband's desires and tries her best to meet them, if she is at all capable. One of the things that I found interesting is her insistence on getting an “Owner's Mark” tattooed on her. She even has it tattooed on her cheek so she could proudly display to all that she belonged to Duke Vahn Rebono. And here's the kicker, she didn't care about his money or social status. She loved the man, not the office. This is one beautiful story.


Why would I get so involved in a love story? It is my opinion that kee represents what the Church has been called to be. Our love for God has to be so pure and selfless as kee. We should wear our bands of slavery to Jesus with pride. We should seek to wear His owner's mark on us where it can be prominently displayed to all. Now I know we all fail. Even kee failed at times, but she was always trying to do her best. I guess what this book asks of me is am I doing my best for Jesus? Are you? This story, for me at least, is a call to greater service to the One who gave His life for me that I might live with Him. I owe Him my time, my money, my possession, all my family, friends and acquaintances, yes I even owe Him the very air I breathe. It is painful getting the Owner's Mark tattooed on me, but I want to be able to say I'm willing to get it, and wear it proudly for my Jesus.




Caprice Hokstad # Here's the best place to buy my book Lulu Marketplace


Also on sale at Amazon Books


You can also find it for sale at Barnes and Noble


And at Books a Million


Be sure to check our her own site for more great stuff at
Welcome to Latoph

5 comments:

Caprice Hokstad said...

I am continually amazed at how many men actually tolerate the amount of romance I use. Fully two-thirds of my advance reviewers were men who ASKED to read it, after loving "The Duke's Handmaid" which was a bit on the mushy side. I think book two has a lot less romance and more adventure than book one, but it's still there.

Thank you for touching on the subject in a way that isn't mushy and overly sentimental.

David said...

Romance is a fact of life. It's the way you present it that I find amazing. It's not like you're trying to do this cozy romance thing. You display the harshness of love, how it tears at you when you consider how a love one may be hurt, or if you're hurt the pain of your loved one seeing you like that. You have both in there a few times. In essence I think you use romance as a vehicle to deliver an action packed story, and that is what "us guys" appreciate.

cathikin said...

You expressed so well the exact point I was thinking about ever since I first read the book. It SO expresses the love that we should have for OUR Lord. And while Vahn Rebono isn't exactly Jesus, yet he is a type that represents the Love of Jesus for the church. He is protective, nurturing, and cares for kee's needs.

The Time Mistress said...

Golly Caprice, I used to review romance for years! Yours is very well done with a gradual growth you've allowed and with shall I say, a purer form of emotion than what is normally depicted in your standard romance. A nice blend of romance, action, adventure, and drama. Bravo ...

David said...

I think Geralyn wraps it up for me. We didn't get one of those cheesy Christian romance novels or one of those steamy romances that is better classified as erotica. You wrote about life, and life has bumps, grinds, pitfalls, and when given a chance to take root and bloom, love.

Pageviews past week