Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

NOR IRON BARS A CAGE, by Caprice Hokstad



Day 4 Wednesday


Pride and Its Consequences

In NOR IRON BARS A CAGE we are given a several very harsh lessons about pride. Kee is one of the most humble people in the book, and I don't know if there really are people of her character. Yet she suffers from the occasional sting of pride. We see it when she realizes that she has chosen where to put the Owner's Mark, not the Duke. She worries that she might dishonor him. Then, to prove she can wear the bands of slavery, even aboard ship, she jumps into the water holding the iron bands. No only does this action reveal her nakedness, but she causes Duke Vahn to nearly lose it. His love for her causes him to be frightened beyond belief. There are other cases, although they may seem small, where kee displays pride, and then must bear the consequences. Duke Vahn is an honorable man, yet pride seizes that sense of honor to enslave him to Countess Delorae for a time. The harshest lesson comes from the countess herself. So filled with pride she can barely grasp the concept that all people should be treated equal. She puts herself up on a pedestal and in the end is brought to a crashing finish.


Jesus said to understand the parables He taught we must first understand the parable of the Sower and the Seed. We could spend pages on this, but to keep it to the point (and not burden you with overlong sermons on things you've already heard) it boils down to this, whatever you plant, be assured that is the kind of plant that will grow. When we plant pride, pride grows up and bears spoiled fruit. It is so rotten that God crushes both the fruit and the plant that bears it to dust. We should be proud of one thing, and one thing only. We should be proud of our Lord Jesus Christ, and that because of Him we can be called “the children of God.” Take any sin, anything even according to our civil and criminal laws is called a violation, and at its root you will find pride. I have seen it with my own eyes in prison. I have seen inmates doing time from everything from cheating on their income tax to rapists and child molesters. Bank robbers and murderers I also came to know, as well as drug dealers. Yet at the root of each of these crimes was pride. Likewise I have seen prison staff refer to inmates as all kinds of derogatory things. Do these staff members actually believe they will stand before the Almighty more just than those that were under their care? You see? Pride causes them to equate things on a human scale, which is faulty. We shall all be judged according to the holiness of God's Law, and deemed free only if we allow Jesus to take our place in judgment.


Now you may think this isn't the place for all of this. I should review the book and let you know if it's a good read and leave it at that. Perhaps you're right, but this is my way. This is the way I talk and communicate. NOR IRON BARS A CAGE is such a tremendous work precisely because I can see so many Biblical truths in it. Our main two characters, one out of love, the other out of honor, endure much hardship because of their own pride. Yet, because their intent was honorable and humble, these things come to an end. The Countess, on the other hand, doesn't seem to comprehend the need for humility. Scripture tells us plainly, “For the day of the LORD of hosts shall be upon every one that is proud and lofty, and upon every one that is lifted up; and he shall be brought low” (Isa 2:12) Although you do not see the name of Jesus anywhere in Caprice Hokstad's novels, this is how I know them to be Christian works; they speak the Truth of God's Word. I would rather tell you about that than say, “It's a good read.” For in telling you that her works speak the Truth of God's Word I am already saying her works are a good read, but I am saying so much more...just as she is saying so much more than it may seem at first.




Caprice Hokstad # Here's the best place to buy my book Lulu Marketplace


Also on sale at Amazon Books


You can also find it for sale at Barnes and Noble


And at Books a Million


Be sure to check our her own site for more great stuff at
Welcome to Latoph

4 comments:

Caprice Hokstad said...

I'm so glad you caught some of kee's faults! I put in one other instance where she's about to dash off to fetch Vahn when King Arx's messenger comes, but to do that, she'd be leaving a newly-adopted toddler (that she is in charge of watching) all by himself in a room that is not at all kid-proof. Timmilina offers to do the fetching before kee realizes what she was about to do.

Okay, I know, not a huge mistake in the whole scheme of things. I might need to work on that. I probably erred when I tried to keep this in the vein of a fairy tale. I wonder how much revenge against the step-mother and step-sisters we might have liked to see (and would have forgiven) in Cinderella?

ForstRose said...

Great commentary on the book and on the pitfalls of pride. I find myself falling into that trap myself at times but being a perfectionist in my case it comes out as thinking and behaving as I am never up to par because I set the bars way above what is reasonable for myself. I know better yet still find myself falling into those old patterns from time to time.

I suppose in that way I am simialr to Kee because she goes back to the old comfortable status of being a slave and relies on Vahn's bands and the owners mark for security instead of realizing that those outer trappings wouldn't make a difference in how he feels about her or treats her.

Melissa

David said...

Gang, I find it interesting that this particular post almost didn't get posted. How lame is that? Talk about pride causing every other sin. I'm a living commentary about that.

Caprice, there were many things I saw in NOR IRON BARS A CAGE, but they WERE many. I had to draw the line someplace. So I picked on a few things to emphasize my point. You're right about kee watching Blod. It's not only a mistake I missed, but one new parents almost always catch themselves making.

Caprice Hokstad said...

I didn't mean to imply you missed anything. A lot of people say that kee is "too perfect" and I was trying to give another piece of evidence to refute that in addition to what you've already done. I'm glad you brought it up first. Someone besides me did see it. Yay!

Pageviews past week