Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Sunday, March 02, 2008

THE VOID, by Mark Mynheir




Day 2 Monday



Return of Robbie Sanchez

I'm new to Mark Mynheir, but it appears that I've come in the middle of a series about members of the FDLE, or Florida Department of Law Enforcement. One of these members is Special Agent Roberta “Robbie” Sanchez. I don't know how much, or if any, part she plays in the other novels (ROLLING THUNDER and BELLY OF THE DRAGON). In a way that's good. You see, when I read THE VOID, it didn't need previous works to be able to stand. It did that quite well on its own. Having never heard of Roberta “Robbie” Sanchez didn't matter. He painted her, and the other characters, with such care that even coming in on book 3 I had all the information I needed to enjoy this well-written suspense novel. And those who know me also know I'm partial to mysteries, so I found THE VOID appealing from that aspect as well.

He does such a great job portraying Robbie, that at times its almost painful. Her Mima, Isabella Sanchez, is stricken with Alzheimers, and she has to at least make sure her needs are provided for. So while Robbie is working her tail off at FDLE trying to put the bad guys away, she has to struggle with keeping her mother healthy, which can really be a grind when they don't recognize you. I know from experience, that taking care of a loved one who can't seem to remember you is beyond taxing. Mark shows this internal struggle realistically. Then when Palm Bay Officer Brad Worthington is brutally killed, Robbie is called in to head the investigation. Being a profiler, that's usually what she confines her work to, but now, on top of her personal woes, and the fact that they just put a really bad dude behind bars, she's being asked to bear a burden that she normally wouldn't bear. Little does anyone know at this point how crucial that simple decision is to the story.

One of the things I've learned is that God provides the strength to go through each and every circumstance, if we will just allow Him to help. In 1st Corinthians 10:13 it says, “There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.” If you look carefully at that statement, God is telling His children, that while things look rough, there is a way of escape, but that way is to go through the trial, in His Son, by the power of His Holy Spirit. God isn't talking about some trap door we can sneak through and avoid the trial. So it is with the members of the FDLE, especially Robbie Sanchez, and PBPD Detective Eric Casey. Robbie learns from Eric how to turn the situation over to God. Eric learns from Robbie to keep his emotions in check. It's a good thing too, because in this story they don't face your normal serial killer or mass murderer. Instead we face something that came up out of the void. Play it any way you want, but this is definitely a good verses evil story you won't want to miss.

On sale now at Random House.
And of course at Amazon.com

Be sure to check out Mark's personal site at Cop Writer

Other CFRB members who will be posting sometime this week:


A Frank Review
Back to the Mountains
Between Sundays
Bibliophile's Retreat
Cathi's Chatter
Queen of Convolution
S.M. Kirkland
Virtual Book Tour de 'Net

3 comments:

Caprice Hokstad said...

Yes, I am keeping an eye on the store in your absence. If I didn't know you did your homework ahead of time, I'd be chiding you for spending your vacation/family time in front of a computer.

Posts are great, as always.

cathikin said...

Another great post. Good insights. I hoep you're having a good time withthe grandbaby, David.

David said...

Thanks guys for your comments, and for you caring about me and my family. That means a lot. I had a wonderful time. It was 88 degrees and sunny when we left Friday afternoon from Florida, and 38 degrees and raining when I arrived in New York that night. Can you guess where I'd rather be? Of course the whole time I wanted to get to a computer and see what was going on, to read and respond to the posts. While you did a great job sis, I miss the hands-on feel I usually get. That's okay though. God's just preparing us for bigger things.

David

Pageviews past week