Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Thursday, March 06, 2008

THE VOID by Mark Mynheir



Day 5 Thursday

Palm Bay Detective Eric Casey

You've probably read books, seen movies and all about the brotherhood of law enforcement personell. Well, to a large part, that's true. FDLE Agent Robbie Sanchez is called in to investigate the murder of PB Brad Worthington, and Palm Bay offers them Det. Eric Casey to act as liaison between the FDLE and the PBPD. The problem is that Eric was Brad's partner and closest friend. He was also one of the people that Brad led to the Lord. His emotions are raw, and that's not the most conducive thing for an ongoing investigation. Casey is not only trying to hold things together for the investigation, but he's trying to hold together Brad's family, being the closest friend they have. This is a realistic portrayal, although I rather doubt any police department would allow someone so personally involved to have any part in the investigation. However, this is fiction, and we're looking at a bunch of “what ifs” here that necessitate his being part of the investigation.


Have any of you felt stressed out? Dumb question. Have any of you lost someone you loved, and yet were forced to move forward for the sake of those around you? I had a friend who committed suicide and had to be strong for his wife and children. Finding the right words to say was really hard. Before he died he asked me about whether or not God was real and could he really know if God loved him, regardless of what he may have done. I had told him that there absolutely was a God and He did, in fact love him, just as he was. Drugs, depression and who knows what other demonic influences led him down that corridor where unbelief was the only thing he could be sure about. That being the case, and being unable to face himself anymore, he took his life. I talked with his wife at the funeral about this, his questions about whether God loved him or not. Tears streaming down her face she said, “I guess he knows now.” What I could not bear to bring myself to say was, “Yes, but he has refused that love, and with it God's salvation.” I didn't have the heart, or maybe it was God's love constraining me.


All I'm saying is that people like Eric Casey are all around us. They are hurting and they are trying to bear a burden that no sane person would try to carry. What we learn from Eric is that there is a place to go and find strength. Jesus said, “Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30) There are many burdens in this life, and we are not humanly possible to bear them, but God is faithful and with these burdens gives us His Son to carry those burdens for us. (see 1st Cor. 10:13) May we learn to lean more and more upon our Lord, and less and less on ourselves as we go through this troublesome life. May we find joy in Him that overshadows the troubles we may face. May we be more and more like Christ.


On sale now at Random House

And of course at Amazon.com

Be sure to check out Mark's personal site at Cop Writer


Other CFRB members who will be posting sometime this week:

A Frank Review
Back to the Mountains
Bibliophile's Retreat
Cathi's Chatter
Queen of Convolution
S.M. Kirkland
Virtual Book Tour de 'Net

2 comments:

ForstRose said...

David,

Once again a great post. I think sometimes there are no words to say when a friend or family member is grieving even when that person and the person being grieved for have a strong faith.

A friend of mine lost a daughter to a very agressive brain tumor last fall and all of us that know them - though blown away by her faith and her dad's - are still reeling in many ways.

I think often the best we can do is to pray and be available for our friends or family members who have lost someone as even (or especially) the ones who are closest to the one now absent from this earth often don't know or can't articulate what they might need at that time.

Melissa

David said...

This particular post was done with tears, remembering things in my past that have been enormous burdens. Yet it was also written in joy, for although I faced great trials, great times where my burdens just about crushed me, I knew that Jesus was my strength and He was more than capable to sustain me. So I rest my sorrow in Him that I may move forward in joy. Bless you Melissa.

David

Pageviews past week