Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Monday, June 02, 2008

GENTLE JOURNEY, by Elaine Lyons Bach


It's Day 3 for Elaine Lyons Bach's GENTLE JOURNEY. Today CFRB directs you to Christian Author Laura Davis Laura has experienced some technical difficulties in the form of having her interview deleted by another hosting site. It'll be interesting to see if she gets another interview up or goes a different direction.

Laura has this on her site, which gives us a good feel for who she is, and the journey she's traveled to get her own work published:

For the past 30 years I have been involved in Contemporary Christian Music Ministry as a soprano soloist. I wrote many of my own songs, produced an album and sang mainly in Ontario and once or twice Stateside. My life was music and singing. I simply did not know anything else, it was my identity, until I lost my voice.

Five years ago, it was discovered that I had a rather large tumor growing in my abdomen. While trying to take it out, the surgeons operating on me made a mistake and I ended up having emergency surgery to repair the damage, two hours after my original surgery. I was intubated and subsquently my vocal chords were injured. My singing voice, as I knew it, was gone.

My life changed overnight. I was like a ship without a rudder - I had no sense of direction in my life at all. Where was God in all of this? Why take my voice after a 30 year ministry? It was too much to comprehend and I was depressed for months. I tried various exercises hoping to get back to where I once was, but my high soprano voice would not come back to me. At most I was now an alto, but even that did not feel comfortable because where I once had control, I now had none - my voice would crack and squeal when I least expected it.

After I sought the Lord in prayer, I began to see the seeds of an idea for a story take shape in my mind. But I could only see the end of the story. For three months I ignored this impression (that was quickly becoming an obsession), because I believed I was not a writer. I argued with God and told Him I wrote songs, not stories. But the urge to write overcame me, so that one day I sat at my computer and said, "Okay Lord. Not my will, but Yours be done. Use me as you will." I placed my hands on the keys and before I even realized what was happening a story poured through them. I saw the beginning, the middle and the end. For months I was at my computer. Housework went by the wayside. After being depressed for so many months about losing my voice, I suddenly felt alive!

Finally, after several months the story was complete. I had written a novel! Not a short story - but a novel. The relief in knowing that I had finished was sweet, until I realized that I wasn't really finished. It took me another 3 years of editing and rewrites before I was completely done.

The book I wrote is called "Come to Me" and you can purchase it in my bookstore.

Now it's your turn. Go to Christian Author Laura Davis and "tag" Laura by posting on her site.

No comments:

Pageviews past week