Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Sunday, July 06, 2008

CHENOA'S SPIRITUAL JOURNEY, by Becky Jane Dice

This is Day One of our tour, and I'm happy to be touring CHENOA'S SPIRITUAL JOURNEY, by Becky Jane Dice. There has been some talk about whether or not the doctrine taught here is Scripturally sound. Let me say that I have always considered "The Great Spirit" to be talking about the God of the Bible. Looking at Native American cultures, you'll find they are as diverse as the European cultures. If the great men of God can't decide on what Scripture says about numerous things, to the point of splitting churches and even starting wars, then we shouldn't be surprised that the European mindset is not receiptive to views other than their own. I realize that there are some add-ons and traditions of men that have accured within the Native American communities, but most of them, not all, but most of them worship a single God they refer to as the Great Spirit. (In the Dakota language it is Wayantanka). I believe Becky has done a great job at giving us the reality of who this Great Spirit is, that is our Heavenly Father, and has also shown where the traditions of men come in and cause problems. Jesus said, "But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshipers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him." (John 4:23) Are all "Indians" Christian? No! Just as all European Americans who go to church are not Christians. There are many who follow blindly the teachings of tradition rather than the teachings of God. Until people understand that Christianity is a relationship with God through His Son, Jesus, we are always going to find these problems, both in and outside the Native American community.

Now that I have that out of the way I can get to the book. This particular genre is another one that I'm interested in only as an observer. Personally I wouldn't buy this book, BUT let me hasten to say that the reason for this is because I am neither a teenager, nor a girl. I'm in my mid-fifties and very definitely male...I need my adreneline to be stimulated by action, suspense and drama. I already went through a very unhappy teen period and have no wish to revisit it. As Chenoa's grandmother advises her, "Never look behind you, because what has happened is in the past and cannot be recaptured, but always look ahead because that's where your destiny lies." Wise words. God puts it this way, "This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness." (Lamentations 3:21-23)

Have you ever faced a situation that was the result of someone else's decisions? Have you ever stood where Chenoa did, wishing to stay where you were and not leave the comfort you had always known? I know I have. In fact I struggle to get out of my "comfort zone" so that I might be of some use to God. This is something that Chenoa learns. Among other things she learns that no one can force her to follow Jesus. It's a choice she has to make herself. The journey to making that choice is what CHENOA'S SPIRITUAL JOURNEY is all about. I think that most of us have struggled in the same ways that she struggled, sometimes even after we became part of God's family (because our faith is sometimes weak). So there is something for all of us in this book.

I want to say to Becky, go back and read this story over again, and you will find many of the answers you thought you'd never get. You'll find that God requires patience and will display patience as He sends you through trials to learn this. Yet all the while He is there, loving you and covering you with His wings, sheltering you from all harm. (See Psalm 91) Becky, this story was meant for many people, but as most writers learn, it is meant for you primarily. In it you will find the love and mercy and grace of your Heavenly Father, even when it seems He is quiet and does not listen or hear your prayers. For not only has He listened and heard, but the trials you are going through are part of the answer. So we should learn to praise Him.

David Brollier
CFRB co-founder

You can purchase CHENOA'S SPIRITUAL JOURNEY at:

Barnes and Nobel
Amazon
Target
and Yahoo

I'm also going to give you her blog address and ask Becky to start entering some things there. Becky, like Chenoa, use this blog as your "diary", your journal. If you aren't active there people won't know how to contact you. Or worse, they'll think you don't care...which I know is false. So write down your own spiritual journey. People want to know. You can find her blog at:

Writing For Him

6 comments:

David said...

For all coming here, I've changed Becky's blog site in future posts. If you want to visit her now go to:

Becky at Author's Den

Caprice Hokstad said...

I know how hard it is to come up with good things to say when the book or genre turns out to be not your cup of tea. You do a great job of bringing out the good points anyway. Thank you for showing us how it is done.

David said...

Thank you Caprice. I don't think I did anything really special. I just look for the good and make sure people don't miss it. I read Becky's book through 3 times, and I really like it, despite it not being my cup of tea. She's the one who deserves the credit.

cathikin said...

Odd, I thought I had commented here. Oh, well. Yes, I think we can all relate to Chenoa's feelings when her future life is determined by a decision that she has no control over. Even as adults we have to face that: our boss/job, our spouse, or our health may take us into paths we don't really want to take. The closer we are to GOd the easier it is to accept the chages when they are in God's will.

David said...

As Chenoa finds out, the closer we get to God the more difficult and complex life becomes, but mixed into this is the added strength of God. We are like silver or gold nearing the furnace. The closer we get, the more pure we become, but willfully allowing God to send us into the fire isn't easy at all, but it is both beneficial and rewarding.

ForstRose said...

Even when I know God is in control and trust His plan, the times of trial by fire are still painful in their immediate experience for me. It is not until later that I am able to look back at where I've been and see the growth, progress, blessings etc that resulted from those unpleasant and "out of my control" circumstances.

I don't like the process anymore now than I did years ago but I hope that I am better able to remember that this is short lived in the scheme of things and what God has done in me through previous trials and difficulties that I had no control over. This remembering hopefully brings with it a sense of purpose behind what is happening even when I don't care for the situation and would rather not be there.

Jeremiah 29:11 and surrounding verses are some that friends of mine often remind me of when I am struggling and I think that passage also would apply for Chenoa as her life is in her mind turned upside down and inside out by her parents and other events that determine her path for this season of life.

The verses I refer to above include: "I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord, "plans to prosper and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future..."

Pageviews past week