Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Sunday, January 04, 2009

SEABIRD, by Sherry Thompson



Seabird, by Sherry Thompson is a unique novel, filled with most of the fantasy elements you'd expet to find in a work of fantasy. Although staying away from dragons, she manages to have several types of flying creatures, among them are the seabirds and a griffon-like hawk that is a mockery of the seabird. What fantasy element she puts in her story are not as important as the story itself.

Long ago, one of the Elder Ones and an Enchanter became greedy for power. This greed led him to bargain with three sorcerers that Alphesis kept in a special prison. Once the bargain seems to go well, and the sorcerers released they keep their promise, but kill the Enchanter who bargained with them. The Enchanter's apprentice, not knowing of the evil deeds of his master, seeks shelter in Alphesis, a shelter which he finds, although his pendant, symbol of his people is lost. He then chronicles all that happened and the arrangement made by the sorcerers. All of this is very Tolkienesque.

We then flip forward a hundred years or so and meet up with Cara, a teenage girl who has spent too much time in the sun. Several things happen that I'd like for you to read for yourself. Suffice it to say that there are some actions that, even before she finds herself in Narenta, are indicative of a power she has and doesn't know, and it is she who comes into possession of the Seabird pendant.

From there the story focuses on Cara. In the beginning there is the wish to just go back home and be done with all of this, but in startling events told by a master story-teller, we see the focus of the story begin to shift from Cara to Cara and the Three Peoples of Narenta and the war they are waging against the Three Sorcerers who have escaped.

Saying much more, even names, would take much of the surprises away from this story. Although there are a few rough edges Sherry Thompson writes a story that is more like The Lord of the Rings than The Chronicles of Naria. There are the analogies of Lewis, but the darkness of Tolkien, both blended together into her own style, a style that is fascinating, riviting, emotional and descriptive to say the least. SEABIRD is a magnificent novel.

I found this story personally gratifying because it portrayed a girl from our earth in such a way that contrasted it against those of the three peoples. Also she had a choice. She could make her way south and then hopefully to home, or she could join with the people of Narenta against the sorcerers. Many writers would have chosen the latter path, since it is most conducive to her story. Sherry chooses the former, because it is precisely what most of us would do. In doing so Cara becomes like Joshua charged with taking Jericho, or Gideon, who while in hiding is heralded as a "mighty warrior of the Lord". Cara becomes even like David of old, who was relegated to tend his father's sheep because he was the youngest, and yet, when God called him forh, it was David who was anointed as king of Israel, it was David who killed Goliath, and it was David whose home and heart was open to all the members of Saul's house, especially any descendants of Jonathon.

We are given numerous Bible lessons without realizing it because we are swept away in the story, and that is why Christian fiction exists, what it should be. Of all the Christian fiction I've read, this is one of the few books hat deserves a 5 star rating. So go out and get it, read it, enjoy it, and you will come to the same conclusion as me, Sherry Thompson is one terrific writer and SEABIRD is an awesome book.

Even though I'm posting the first day, you never know who will be posting throughout the week. That's right, "Tag, you're it". Those posting reviews are listed below, although in no special order. Plus, there are other team members who will be posting just the basics, which I'm sure you'll find intriguing as well. So hunt around and enjoy the journey. Like Cara you may not think you are special or anything, but you really are. You may find yourself on one of these sites.






Now a little about Sherry Thompson:

I was born in Baltimore MD in 1946. Between then and my fifth year, my family moved to New-Port-News VA, Homeville PA and finally to Marshallton, Wilmington DE. I've lived somewhere in New Castle County DE ever since.

I attended the University of Delaware and received a BAAS cum laude from their School of Education in 1969. My major was Interdepartmental History but I earned sufficient credits to secure unofficial minors in both English and Educational Psychology.

During the last three years of my time as an undergraduate, I also worked about 20 hours a week at the University of Delaware Library. I was accepted into the university's psychology graduate program, but chose to accept a fulltime position at the UD library instead.

I worked at the library from the spring of 1965 to the spring of 2000, when I retired from my position as Supervisor of the Interlibrary Loan unit within Access Services. Now, I write. And, revise, and volunteer, and … oh, yes, I write.

Now for further information and where to buy this wonderful book you can go to the source itself,

Visit Sherry's Scribblings

her Author Profile at Red Room,

and her Home Page.

Purchase Seabird at Books a Million, Barnes and Noble or Amazon.



3 comments:

Laura Davis said...

Wonderful review David! I agree with you as well, in regards to the Tolkien aspect. Either way she wrote a wonderful book!

UtM, SherryT said...

I love hearing people gossiping nice things about me in front of my back.

It means a lot to me to find people who like my book. I think there's now about a dozen of you. ;-P

David reminded me how frequently I read LotR in those early years before I wrote the first draft of "Seabird". In fact, I was rereading it so often, I picked up a Tolkien style accent, the way someone from New York City might eventually pick up of Southern drawl after spending years in the Carolinas.
The language in first draft of "Seabird" was often high fantasy and mythic -- not just the way the Narentans spoke but in my descriptions. I removed a great deal of that over the years but evidently left in more than I knew.

SherryT
http://tree-lady.livejournal.com/
http://khivasmommy.googlepages.com/authorintro

David said...

Thanks Laura. Sherry, I think you did a splendid job. Yes the Tolkien thing is there, but you added a little of the C.S. Lewis thing (moving between worlds) and did something amazing. You picked a rather uniquely modern young woman to enter into a Tolkienesque world. The others have speech that, in many aspects, reminds me of the different peoples you meet in The Lord of the Rings, but it's all from the same age. In SEABIRD you have someone talking in language we would normally talk in thrown into a world where such speech is a mystery to them. I love it.

David Brollier

Pageviews past week