Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

SEABIRD, by Sherry Thompson



Wednesday: In Other Worlds. One of the things that some readers find distasteful is the idea of other worlds. They can't seem to grasp the idea that there may just be more out there then they have been led to believe. One person who had to battle against such beliefs was Christopher Colombus. He studied the waters, the currents, the shipping lanes, listened to the tales of sailors and was convinced that there was more than they had been told. Colombus believed in other worlds, and that belief pressed him to go out and prove it. This he did, although afterwards much of what he did was marred by the greed of others. Still, it points to a very real fact, there are other worlds out there. Some are in the heads of writers like Sherry Thompson, Geralyn Beauchamp, Caprice Hokstad, J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and many others. The argument that these are mere creations in a writer's head and not "real" worlds is a false claim. Maybe the names are different, or the landscape slightly different, but these worlds exist. Worlds that exist in the minds of others are perhaps the most real of worlds that exist. People are fond of thinking the earth is real, but is it? Will it not be destroy one day and remade once again? How many times has God written "In the beginning" for a different race of people who perhaps walked upon the same globe as we do? How many times has this been overcome with darkness? How many times has He shattered that darkness with His own presence, for He is the light of the world? Perhaps our world is only in the mind of an author as well, yet our author is God Almighty. If you really want to understand God you might want to explore some of these other worlds, for surely they do not simply spring up from one's imagination, but from the heart of a God who wishes to speak to His creation.

We're at it again. That's right, "Tag, you're it". Those posting reviews are listed below, although in no special order. Plus, there are other team members who will be posting just the basics, which I'm sure you'll find intriguing as well. So hunt around and enjoy the journey. Like Cara you may not think you are special or anything, but you really are. You may find yourself on one of these sites.






Now a little about Sherry Thompson:

I was born in Baltimore MD in 1946. Between then and my fifth year, my family moved to New-Port-News VA, Homeville PA and finally to Marshallton, Wilmington DE. I've lived somewhere in New Castle County DE ever since.

I attended the University of Delaware and received a BAAS cum laude from their School of Education in 1969. My major was Interdepartmental History but I earned sufficient credits to secure unofficial minors in both English and Educational Psychology.

During the last three years of my time as an undergraduate, I also worked about 20 hours a week at the University of Delaware Library. I was accepted into the university's psychology graduate program, but chose to accept a fulltime position at the UD library instead.

I worked at the library from the spring of 1965 to the spring of 2000, when I retired from my position as Supervisor of the Interlibrary Loan unit within Access Services. Now, I write. And, revise, and volunteer, and … oh, yes, I write.


Now for further information and where to buy this wonderful book you can go to the source itself,

KhivasMommy - The Scroll Chamber

You can purchase SEABIRD at Books a Million, Barnes & Noble and Amazon

4 comments:

UtM, SherryT said...

As you know, J.R.R. Tolkien & C.S. Lewis were both members of the Oxford-based Inklings. Both wrote fantasy. However the two did not agree on everything.
Tolkien disliked Lewis's apparently random amalgamation of various mythologies & traditions in his Chronicles of Narnia. Lewis wrote that if anyone attempted to make suggestions when Tolkien was reading his "New Hobbit" aka The Lord of the Rings, his colleague would just begin reading the passage over again from the top. As Lewis put it, they might as well try to influence a Bandersnatch.

However, the two men firmly agreed when it came to the basis of their beliefs and their work. They worshiped a Creator-God who made us in His own image. Those facts automatically endow us with the urge to create or, as they put it, to sub-create. What is more natural for an author than to create a world just as God created ours?

As for what constitutes I "real" or "true" world, I vote that we don't know and can't. Well, not yet. ;-)

xanthorpe said...

You two are way too well read for me to keep up. One story I read years ago was Ringworld by Larry Niven. I'm not sure what Niven's theological bent is - and I didn't care a tuppence when I was reading Ringworld - but his creation is arguably as significant as Tolkien's Middle Earth.

I have always stood in awe of writers who could create such an amazingly 'new' world, seemingly from nothing.

The "Men in Black" argument - that Earth is just a marble in the great cosmic game of marbles - is interesting from an intellectual standpoint. Personally, I try not to get too caught up in our own superiority. In other words, I'm not haughty enough to think that God created us and that's that - all other theories be...darned.

This is one of those sweet mysteries that does not cause me to lose any sleep at night. But someday, while strolling the crystal paths of New Jerusalem, perhaps I'll know the answer.

Of course then, it really won't matter at all, will it?

X

David said...

Yeah, I'm aware of the differences in Tolkien and Lewis' approach to writing fiction. Frankly I think they're both right. To accept one over the other would be like believing in a world that was all sky blue, grass, water, stones, people, everything the same color. It would lack depth. Having different authors come at fiction, especially fantasy, from different angles gives life to what each other wrote.

X, I don't know that we're too well read. We're writers and as such we read. I've found that God can speak to me through even the writings of non-Christians, if I keep my heart open to Him. As far as us being the only planet of intelligent life, well, that doesn't seem like an intelligent response. When God says in His Word, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth," He is talking about our beginning, not His nor those that may exist on other planets. In fact, one may consider if God did this here before, and will do it again when this world passes away. I don't know and I'm completely comfortable with letting God be God. I like not having all the answers.

David Brolleir

UtM, SherryT said...

I agree with David when it comes to "In the Beginning..." in Genesis. The Bible is our In the Beginning. When Peter asked Jesus what would become of the other disciple (John), Jesus answered, "If God wishes, he may remain here until my return. What is that to you? Follow me."

We know our own story. Not the next person's. Or the possible other sentient souls God may have chosen or may yet choose to create. Our story is what we need to attend to, but keeping our focus doesn't eliminate possibilities. They just aren't our concern.

To paraphrase something I read somewhere, "If God created us to praise Him and enjoy Him forever, why would He not have done so several times over?" I like that argument, which I keep in mind when thinking about extra-terrestrial life.

As the professor said in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (again paraphrasing), "Other worlds? What would be more likely? What -do- they teach in those schools nowadays?"

Pageviews past week