Join CFRB on Yahoo

Thursday, January 08, 2009

SEABIRD, by Sherry Thompson



Thursday: Good and Evil. In some societies it is taught that evil is the most powerful force there is, or that the evil gods and/or goddesses are the only true gods and goddesses. In other societies it is taught that there is good and there is evil, and that within good there resides a small piece of evil, and within evil resides a small piece of good. These two are locked in an eternal conflict, never able to overtake the other because they are of equal strength. Then there is the Truth. The Truth is there is Good ad there is evil. Evil is always an imitation of Good, in fact its existence relies on the existence of Good. If Good were to be removed, then so also would evil. There are those who get confuse here and attempt to do away with Good so that evil will also cease, but what they mean is to make desires, lusts, and evil actions acceptable and therefore good by removing Good. Yet Good cannot be removed, because Good is a person. Jesus said to a man who called Him "Good", "And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God." So we see that to eliminate Good we need to eliminate God. If we were to eliminate God would that not be the greatest evil one could commit? But you cannot eliminate God no more than you could create Him. So Good and evil remain, and they remain Good and evil, and God has already triumphed over evil by the blood of Jesus. One day He will utterly destroy evil, as Scripture says, "And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof." (Rev. 21:23) Know then that in SEABIRD there is also good and evil, but good shall always win out, for it has always been that way. It is the nature of good to be stronger than evil, for light to overpower darkness.

We're at it again. That's right, "Tag, you're it". Those posting reviews are listed below, although in no special order. Plus, there are other team members who will be posting just the basics, which I'm sure you'll find intriguing as well. So hunt around and enjoy the journey. Like Cara you may not think you are special or anything, but you really are. You may find yourself on one of these sites.





Now a little about Sherry Thompson:

I was born in Baltimore MD in 1946. Between then and my fifth year, my family moved to New-Port-News VA, Homeville PA and finally to Marshallton, Wilmington DE. I've lived somewhere in New Castle County DE ever since.

I attended the University of Delaware and received a BAAS cum laude from their School of Education in 1969. My major was Interdepartmental History but I earned sufficient credits to secure unofficial minors in both English and Educational Psychology.

During the last three years of my time as an undergraduate, I also worked about 20 hours a week at the University of Delaware Library. I was accepted into the university's psychology graduate program, but chose to accept a fulltime position at the UD library instead.

I worked at the library from the spring of 1965 to the spring of 2000, when I retired from my position as Supervisor of the Interlibrary Loan unit within Access Services. Now, I write. And, revise, and volunteer, and … oh, yes, I write.


Now for further information and where to buy this wonderful book you can go to the source itself,


Visit Sherry's Scribblings

her Author Profile at Red Room,

and her Home Page.

Purchase Seabird at Books a Million, Barnes and Noble or Amazon.



2 comments:

UtM, SherryT said...

God has no equal. Therefore ultimately good will always triumph over evil. The "problem" -- from the point of view of us time-limited self-centered hoomins -- is that we tend to look at this "eternal" conflict between good and evil over very short periods of time and/or according to our own self-interest. We're like the proverbial blind men & the elephant when it comes to guessing how the story ends.

I know at least one reader of Seabird who wanted a happier ending. And possibly less distress to its main characters on the way to that ending. You can be sure that if you could ask the Seabird characters about this, they would agree!

But all the characters see is what is happening at that moment. At the end of Seabird, all they know is what has happened up to that moment. The same is true for the reader.

I am in no way, shape, or form God, nor do I bear any resemblance to Him.

Except in this. I sub-created Narenta as God -really- created everything we know, have known or ever will know. (Wow! That's a lot!) Because of my lowly job as a sub-creator, I get to know a few things that the characters in my story and even "gentle reader" don't know. I get to know bits and pieces of what happens next and what is happening elsewhere, beyond the cognizance of the characters' experiences.

I have hope for Narenta and for good ultimately triumphing over evil, because I'm a copy-cat. God does it that way, so I'm doing the same thing with my fan-fic, based on what He's done. In Revelation, we are told that God will triumph ultimately. Narenta is in the throes of its Tumults. Guaranteed, in the long run Alphesis will triumph. All His followers will enter into Joy.

David said...

One of the things I love about writing is that I have a unique connection with God, not just as Creator, but as the Author. Being a fiction writer the first thing I do is create the characters, then work on a plot in my head, then as I write I follow the story where it leads. God does the same thing, except He already knows where the story leads. A study of His Word shows that the first thing He did before even describing the world His story would play out in was create His characters, you and me. I praise God for this connection with Him. It helps me understand Him on a level I'd never considered before.

David Brollier

Pageviews past week