Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Friday, January 09, 2009

SEABIRD, by Sherry Thompson


Friday. Freewill. There is a saying, "God will not force you to be willing, but He may make you willing to be willing." The example was given of a person who didn't wish to leave a burning house. Well, God can't force you to leave the house, but He can throw in a hornet's nest and make you willing to leave, thus saving your life. I think we see this in SEABIRD. Cara doesn't want anything to do with strange lands, prophecies, sorcerers, enchanters or any of it. She just wants to go home. That's pretty cut and dried. Although there is a certain amount of pressure put on her, she really isn't forced. It is the love she has for the people who have helped her along the way, and watching what happens to them that finally make her willing to be willing. At first it is simply turning towards the least hazardous route, but in time Cara learns to embrace the will of Alphesis, God of Narenta. Are there things in your life that have caused you trial and pain? Are there things that you just want to run from? Look closely and see if they haven't been moving you closer to the mature person you have become. For God does not promise us freedom from pain and suffering. Quite the contrary, Jesus promises us persecution. So why bother? Because His love is worth it. We do this, "For the Obedience" because we love Him. And we love Him because He first loved us. We can love and yet be hated and still take it with a smile on our face if we embrace God as Cara did.

We're at it again. That's right, "Tag, you're it". Those posting reviews are listed below, although in no special order. Plus, there are other team members who will be posting just the basics, which I'm sure you'll find intriguing as well. So hunt around and enjoy the journey. Like Cara you may not think you are special or anything, but you really are. You may find yourself on one of these sites.





Now a little about Sherry Thompson:

I was born in Baltimore MD in 1946. Between then and my fifth year, my family moved to New-Port-News VA, Homeville PA and finally to Marshallton, Wilmington DE. I've lived somewhere in New Castle County DE ever since.

I attended the University of Delaware and received a BAAS cum laude from their School of Education in 1969. My major was Interdepartmental History but I earned sufficient credits to secure unofficial minors in both English and Educational Psychology.

During the last three years of my time as an undergraduate, I also worked about 20 hours a week at the University of Delaware Library. I was accepted into the university's psychology graduate program, but chose to accept a fulltime position at the UD library instead.

I worked at the library from the spring of 1965 to the spring of 2000, when I retired from my position as Supervisor of the Interlibrary Loan unit within Access Services. Now, I write. And, revise, and volunteer, and … oh, yes, I write.


Now for further information and where to buy this wonderful book you can go to the source itself,


Visit Sherry's Scribblings

her Author Profile at Red Room,

and her Home Page.

Purchase Seabird at Books a Million, Barnes and Noble or Amazon.



2 comments:

UtM, SherryT said...

Wow! Trials that have made me willing to be willing. Hornet nests in a burning building.

I could take that bit in my teeth and run away with it for paragraphs -- except that a lot of it is personal and other parts concern other people or well, institutions that it isn't my right to discuss.

Suffice it to say that when I retired in 2000, it wasn't something that I had expected to do at that time. Certainly not when I thought ahead about my future in 1998-1999.

Nor were the immediate results of my retirement what I expected them to me. During the short period when I began planning an early retirement, I had a radically different vision of what it would be like.

Some of you have heard me say that I like to walk a prayer labyrinth. A labyrinth looks like a maze but it has only one path to its center. Particularly the first time someone walks a labyrinth, they sense a randomness to the path. Even though walkers are told that there -is- only one path to the center & that therefore it is impossible to become lost, most walkers cannot begin to gauge how far they have come or how far they have left to walk. It is virtually impossible to look around oneself in mid-walk and guess which sections of the path have already been covered and which parts remain untrodden.

When I began planning my retirement, I had reached an impasse where I was and I was motivated to flee it. When I thought about my future I envisioned it in a completely unrealistic way, with most of my thoughts trained on the absence of certain daily events and people.
Only after retirement and the following tumultuous year and a half, did I learn what my post-retirement life would be like.
What my new goals would be.

They just happened to be picking up an activity that I had had to abandon many years before -- finishing Seabird and seeing it through to publication.

Now when I walk the labyrinth, I always thank God for seeing me through all the twists and turns of my life -- my whole life of course but particularly the 1998-2002 period. I could never have worked out that path for myself, because I had never foreseen the obstacles and challenges I needed to face before I could get where I am now. If I had foreseen them, I might very well have run in the opposite direction. Thank God for each twist and turn that hid the rest of the path from view until I was ready for it!

David said...

Labyrinth of prayer! I've never heard it put that way. Labyrinth of life, which is an extension (or should be) of prayer, well that makes more sense to me. Having said that I can identify with you Sherry. I "got out while the going was good" and while I may have made a blunder in doing so, God has been faithful. He opens up a way where there is no way. I wanted to go into prison ministry, but find I can't get back into the prison I retired from. (I'm considered a security risk) Much of the plans and hopes I had for inmates and an inmate ministry seem to have been road markers, not really a goal. After I retired in 2003 I took about a month off before looking for a job. Then I walked into the library and within a week I began working as a clerk there. During the first year I fell in love with reading again on a big scale. Then I decided to try and write my own mystery novel. Although it took nearly 3 years to come out the rough draft was finished in 3 months. It ain't perfect, but I know God has been with me in this field. Now I'm working with a number of wonderful people who also write for the Lord. Has the inmate ministry gone by the wayside? I don't think so. I think God is leading me in a different way to get there, through what to me looks like a maze, but to Him is what He ordained before the world began.

David Brollier

Pageviews past week