Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Monday, May 04, 2009

The Ark, the Reed, and the Firecloud, by Jenny Cote


Monday - If you like geography or history you will find this book interesting as well. Not only does Jenny Cote include the Biblical account (artistically enhanced), but she has different animals from different countries, even continents, making their way to the ark as they follow the Firecloud. By doing so she adds a touch of the geographically correct dialog, lets you know what kind of climates you are dealing with and such. This brings to mind different pictures from history that have nothing to do with the book itself, but create a full-bodied feel of the epic.

I think one of the most interesting things, from a writer's point of view, is that instead of asking "What if?" as most fiction writers do, she asks the question "How?" So it's not "What if there really was a flood, what would it be like?" Instead it's, "How did Noah create this ark? How did the animals from different climates make it across so vast expanses of territory? How did they survive together, having differing biological needs when it came to temperature? How did they eat and entertain themselves? " and more. By asking the question "How?" she is making the statement that this event did happen, not that it may have happened, or that some people believe it happened. She is making a bold statement that the Bible means just what it says. I find that intriguing and interesting, even refreshing. I also congratulate her for doing so, because such a bold statement of faith cannot be mistaken for some work of fiction. Yes the book is definitely fiction, unless she actually went back in time and interviewed each of these animals, which the book seems to say would not be possible (animals seem to be smarter than humans on the communication level at least). So this even must have happened. Probably not the way she has written it down, but it has happened the way God has it written down in His Book (which she points you to in the story itself, which I also thought was a nice touch). I am already looking forward to Jenny's next book, but you can read more about that at her site listed by her picture at the bottom of this post.

Another thing I should mention is that THE ARK, THE REED, AND THE FIRECLOUD is being made into an animated movie. In my opinion it's about time Christians have more respectable movies and animations. Personally Veggie Tales just doesn't do it for me, and don't get me started on Bibleman. If done properly this would have the look of a professional animated movie that would appeal to children of all ages.

The following CFRB members will be posting reviews and/or interviews this week. We're gonna be sneaky though and not tell you who is posting when. So you'll just have to click on each of the buttons throughout the week and find out for yourselves. It's what we call a Tag Team Tour. In this way you will be able to discover new and exciting blogs even if they haven't put up their post for THE ARK, THE REED, AND THE FIRECLOUD yet.




Visit Jenny's site to learn more at JennyCote.Com













You can purchase this book at:

Jenny's Store

Amazon

ChristianBook.Com

4 comments:

djt670 said...

Wow! That is so exciting! I have been hoping that this book would be turned into a movie and now it has! I cannot wait to see it!
~Dana Thompson

Anonymous said...

I love this book.And the second one.And the third one.And I can't wait for the fourth one.
I can't wait to see the movie for the first one.By the way what is the movie gonna be called?Cause I really wanna know so I can actually watch it.
Thank you Jenny for the books I've read them 4 times each.(that was just a random thing to say).

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for this turning into a movie ! Will fully support

Anonymous said...

I know I wrote a comment before, but I would just like to say Thank You for being a Chrisian Jenny. I think these books have brought me closer to God, and my family. Also I would just like to say yes I read the fourth one *The Roman The Twelve And The King* and it was great, no one could have possibly written about Messiahs crusifiction than you did in this book. You made it so heartfelt and the detail was excruciating, I loved it. (Even though this isn't necessary I will say it anyway). Know that God does love you, and...I know we all have our opinions...but Jenny, and all who read this comment, look up (on YouTube or something) *Know Your Enemy* it's a great set of videos ranging around 9 to 10 minutes each. And they tell the origins of things like Christmas, Easter, and Halloween. I'm not trying to force anthing on you but please try and make time to watch these clips. They're great.

Pageviews past week