Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

The Ark, the Reed, and the Firecloud, by Jenny Cote


Tuesday - In a very real sense THE ARK, THE REED, AND THE FIRECLOUD, by Jenny Cote, is a story about Maximillian Braveheart the Bruce, better known as Max. We see him from all different kinds of angle, which I found interesting. We find him frightened in the beginning of the book, struggling with fear in other parts of the book, a bit dense at times, and yet surprisingly thoughtful and proactive at other times. He is called a hero, but never really feels worthy of such a title. And of course we get to see the romantic side of Max. Perhaps the most important thing we see is how Max grows in the Lord through each trial of faith. At first it is just acceptance of a common knowledge, but slowly this becomes a personal and intimate belief and relationship with his creator.

Watching s character grow like this is pleasant for readers, but ecstacy for a writer. I'm fairly sure that Jenny Cote had no idea how weak Max's faith would be in the beginning, nor how great it would be at the end of the story. Like any reader, she watched her own character unfold before her and come to life. That is if she's like most writers I know. Judging from conversations with her and viewing her website, I'd agree that while Jenny created her characters, she also watched them come to life. For those of you who don't write or don't write fiction, this may seem a bit strange. It is natural. It is like planting a seed. If you plant an apple seed you know it will grow into an apple tree. What you don't know is what that tree will look like, or how tasty the apples will be when it finally begins to bear fruit.

One of the chief reasons for writing fiction is to watch this happen, at least for me. In Hebrews 12:2 it says that Jesus is the Author and Finisher of our faith. What a beautiful analogy. We are able to connect with God in His creativity from that very same aspect of being the Author. For me there are few things that are so rewarding as this. Remember, God knew you before He even started creating this world. He knew all about you, your habits, your thoughts, what you would and would not do, everything. And guess what? He said it was good, meaning who He created you to be was exactly as it should be. Sin ruined that initial plan, but the death of Jesus for our sin brings us back into fellowship with God. He knew all about that too. So He works with you, if you are willing, a fallen piece of His creation, to lift you up and bring you into that perfect image patterned after His Son. This is why I write, why most of us here at CFRB write, why many Christians write, to pave the way back to God's initial plan for us. We write to point you to Jesus, plain and simple. Without Him and the love He shows to all of us daily, there really wouldn't be a reason to write, not for me anyway.

The following CFRB members will be posting reviews and/or interviews this week. We're gonna be sneaky though and not tell you who is posting when. So you'll just have to click on each of the buttons throughout the week and find out for yourselves. It's what we call a Tag Team Tour. In this way you will be able to discover new and exciting blogs even if they haven't put up their post for THE ARK, THE REED, AND THE FIRECLOUD yet.




Visit Jenny's site to learn more at JennyCote.Com













You can purchase this book at:

Jenny's Store

Amazon

ChristianBook.Com

2 comments:

Jenny L. Cote said...

Hi David and all you wonderful Christian Fiction Bloggers! Thank you for the honor and privilege to highlight my book this week. I'm grateful for your attention and the words you've written in your review. I loved what you wrote today about the characters coming to life as I wrote the story - especially with the parallel of Christ as the Author of our faith. What a beautiful picture that gave me! I feel like I'm one of His beloved characters in this incredible novel he is writing of my life. Neat, neat insight, so thank you!

I hope all will take a peek at The Ark, and just a word to those interested in a copy of the book - if you order the book from me at www.maxandliz.com it will not only be signed by me but by the REAL Max and Liz! I hope to hear from you and happy, blessed reading, Jenny

David said...

I found it difficult to write seven reviews (eight counting the one for Christian Mystery Writers), not because there was so little to say, but because there is so much to say. That and I didn't want to give away too much. Hopefully I haven't.

Pageviews past week