Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Tuesday, December 08, 2009

THE CAT THAT MADE NOTHING SOMETHING AGAIN, by James Maxon



Tuesday - Pay attention. (I'm going to do this in 2 parts). First, being more general, pay attention to the journey. In THE CAT THAT MADE NOTHING SOMETHING AGAIN, we have a cat who by all accounts isn't really all that extraordinary, stetting out on a journey to regain the water for the people in his town. His motives may not be all that selfless in the beginning, but as we follow this cat on his journey we find he runs into many situations and meets different people. These situations and meetings change him and he begins to really have a heart for those around him. Although he has set out to find these evil sponges the journey becomes something that is invaluable, in fact it is more important, in some ways, than getting to the sponges and getting the water back. That's because he has no plan, no course of action and no real backbone, should he have to stand up to these sponges himself, something he hopes to avoid. Yet our furry friend pays attention to the journey and in doing so finds that while a plan never seems to develop he does grow a backbone. We find him motivated by love and not selfishness, and it is this that makes all the difference in the world. Were he to have ignored the journey he wouldn't have been prepared when the time came and would have been a miserable failure.

As we go through life we may not have a definite goal in mind. We may feel a bit like Abraham who was told to get up out of his father's house and go to a place God would show him God didn't tell him where to go, only that he should go. Over the next 25 plus years Abraham grew a backbone. We look back at him as a great man of faith. In Scripture he is referred to as a man of faith and also we understand what faith is through him, "Abraham believed God and it was credited to him as righteousness." (Romans 4:3; Galatians 3:6; James 2:23) He paid attention to many things, and in a general sense to his journey. It didn't matter that God didn't tell him where to go, but only that God told him to go. If you are a Christian the chances are very good that God has told you to "Go", but you weren't given any details. You may have been pointed in a direction, but after that you had to trust in the Lord. And that is precisely what the journey is about. That's why paying attention to the journey is more important than the goal of the journey for many of us. Without that journey we would never reach that goal, or be in shape for it if we happened to stumble upon it without the journey.

I am still on my journey. I'm not all that sure where God wants me to go all the time. Like Abraham I make a lot of mistakes, but also like Abraham I am learning to trust God, at least a little bit more each day. I have full confidence that when this journey is over and I arrive where God wants me to be I will arrive with all the wisdom, strength and knowledge that I will need at that time. What about you? Are you paying attention to your journey or are you overwhelmed by the gargantuan task before you? One thing I have learned on my journey is that I can NEVER become a match for even the simplest of tasks God puts before me, but that He is never overwhelmed. He is much more the match than anything I might ever face. Because of this I can rest peacefully (most of the time). I just have to keep my eyes on Jesus and learn from the journey. For I can do all things through Christ who gives me the strength. That's a little something Paul picked up on his journey.

Be sure to visit his site HERE

Although James seems to have links all over the place I could only find the following links to online sales sites:

Amazon
Froogle




IMPORTANT
The Christian Fiction Review Blog (known as CFRB) is a ministry that promotes quality Christian fiction in order that the Gospel of Jesus Christ may be shared with others who might hear it in a context that they would appreciate and understand. Each book is "previewed" in order to maintain the quality and content of the book. Books that are accepted for blog tours are given to the members by the author to review, according to the number of members
requesting a copy. It is the belief and practice of CFRB to post positive reviews as a type of payment for these books. However, I want to emphasize again that these books first go through a preview stage where they are deemed of a high enough quality to tour.

2 comments:

cathikin said...

Like the cat, I think most of us probably start out looking for God for selfish reasons. I think my first thoughts when I called on Jesus to be my savior were about wanting to escape Hell. I wasn't really thinking about worshiping Him or helping anyone else. But, as you pointed out about the cat, that all changed during the journey. God meets us where we are.

David said...

That's right Cat. I didn't see the "get out of jail free card" thing until later, but I think I thought God was going to handle all my problems and I could kind of lay back and enjoy life. So I've gone through several changes, and expect to go through more as I mature in Christ.

Pageviews past week