Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Wednesday, December 09, 2009

THE CAT THAT MADE NOTHING SOMETHING AGAIN, by James Maxon



Wednesday - Paying attention, part 2. In my last post I talked about paying attention to the journey. In this part I want to focus on paying attention to those around you. It's more of the same, but more specific. This nameless cat only began to pay attention when the sponges came and stole the moisture from the village. Even then he was only half-heartedly concerned. When the day in and day out routine never changed he became bored and then he started to really take notice. On his travels he meets various individuals, some good, some bad, some really quite out of their mind. It is partially because he was paying attention to these people that he was able to affect any kind of a change. I can write down a list of things that he would have missed if he hadn't paid attention which would have drastically changed this story.

Every day we go through life much like this cat. People we work with or pass on the street, even those we may go to church with have little or no impact on us because we aren't paying attention. We are so trained to see things the way we've always seen them that we figure there isn't another way of looking at things or people. This one really beats me up, because I am sort of a hermit when it comes to people. I have to force myself to go to work or church. I enjoy myself when I'm there (most of the time), but I am so comfortable right here, behind the keyboard of my computer that I don't go out like I should. It sickens me to think of that, and only the grace of God gets me through.

Jesus told us to love one another as He loves us. He told us that if we did this the world would know we were His disciples. So, where are they? Are they all behind computer keyboards, locked in homes of their own? If a brother or sister stumbles where are we to help encourage them and lift them up? I know people think FaceBook and ShoutLife is the answer, or maybe just having special emal friends, but it isn't. When was the last time you helped someone you could actually touch, really see their smile and their face light up as God lifted them up? Don't write me and tell me because I'm in the same boat. We have to get out of our "comfort zones". And that is just about the family of God, what about those who don't know Jesus? God gave me a vision one time that still shakes me. I was walking on the sidewalk and there was this earthquake. The sidewalk slanted up at like a 60 degree angle and a wide crack opened up behind me. Here's the thing, I wasn't sliding. I was seeing everyone else sliding past me into the chasm and disappear, but the angle, the earthquake, it didn't affect me. Then I was told to reach out and catch those who were sliding into the abyss. I'm still not doing it like God wants me to, but I'm trying. I try a little more each day. Why? Because there really is an abyss out there and the world really is sliding towards it. My job is to let them know that someone cares about them, someone loves them, to put out my hand, not just in friendship, but in practical help. If I don't do this any preaching of the Gospel is basically meaningless. If you are a Christian this vision is also for you. You have to be like this cat. You have to get so bored with the way things are, so fed up with yourself letting things go on the way they always have to you begin to allow God to do something about it. The cat didn't have a clear plan, only that he had to do something. So I'm not telling you to button-hole people out there. I'm not saying you should do this or that, but I am saying "Get out of the boat and marvel at what Jesus can do through you when you put your trust in Him." I'm also saying, "Above everything else, love everyone you meet, especially the ones you don't feel like loving." How you do this is between you and God. Just remember, there are people dying everyday, people who have talked to you, bumped into you (sometimes very literally), worked with and they die without coming to know Jesus as their Lord and Savior. Now that isn't something you can force anyone to do. You can, however, show them the love of Jesus through you. How many have we let got to the grave without at least getting that message through to them? How many people have died not knowing that someone loved them? This Christmas my goal is to let people realize that is the very reason for this season, and I love them enough to tell them about it. What about you.

Be sure to visit his site HERE

Although James seems to have links all over the place I could only find the following links to online sales sites:

Amazon
Froogle




IMPORTANT
The Christian Fiction Review Blog (known as CFRB) is a ministry that promotes quality Christian fiction in order that the Gospel of Jesus Christ may be shared with others who might hear it in a context that they would appreciate and understand. Each book is "previewed" in order to maintain the quality and content of the book. Books that are accepted for blog tours are given to the members by the author to review, according to the number of members
requesting a copy. It is the belief and practice of CFRB to post positive reviews as a type of payment for these books. However, I want to emphasize again that these books first go through a preview stage where they are deemed of a high enough quality to tour.

No comments:

Pageviews past week