Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

FORGIVING SEAN, by Jessica Adriel


Wednesday - Today we get to my favorite character, Hawke Davies. Hawke is my favorite for a couple of reasons. First because he's a Christian who is sold out on working for Christ. Second, because he's unlike our poster-board image of what a Christian should look like. A former drug addict and pusher, Hawke turns to music. His hair is a bit better kept up, but it's still long and he still has his beard. He's still dressing like something out of a GQ meets Goth kind of catelog, and he sports tattoos and earrings. There was a time when I would have looked down on a person like that just because of the way the dressed, because of their tattoos, and especially the earrings, but God worked a miracle in my life, and...and this isn't about me, it's about Hawke. Sorry.

Hawke is Marissa's "nearly engaged" boyfriend. When Sean Moffit left, he left her with a burden no one should have to bear. Trying to rectify that became harder and harder the further he went down the road he had chosen to travel. Hawke was there to pick her up when she was down, to help soothe her pain, to fill a gap left in her life that had been left vacant. As he did this something began to happen to him, he began to fall in love. When I say that I don't mean the idiotic kind of "falling in love" you read about in most contemporary romance novels, but the kind of love that says, "If you ever need anything, ANYTHING, I'm here for you." It wasn't romantic attraction. It wasn't some kind of desire for her beauty. Instead he had seen what she was like on the inside and really, really liked what he saw. The more he thought about that the more he couldn't stop thinking about that and before he knew it he found himself totally head over heels over her.

Hawke is a type of Jesus in this story. By that I don't mean he was divine and all that. However you will find these elements that both share. Jesus saw our need and stepped down from His throne to meet that need. He didn't look at what we looked like on the outside, but what we were on the inside, or to be more specific, what we could be if we let His love live in us and produce that kind of fruit that love always produces...more love. You see, if you hate or even dislike someone, you begin to train yourself to dislike that person until that dislike becomes hate. On the other side of that coin you'll find that the more we train ourselves to love someone the more we actually do love someone. Whether or not they return our love doesn't matter. Okay, it matters, but not in the same way you might think. It matters because love when it isn't accepted always hurts, but it remains. It doesn't change to hatred. Lust will always turn to hatred after a while.

There's a lot more about Hawke I could write here, but I'd be giving the book away. Suffice it to say that Hawke becomes the human anchor for Marissa and the battering ram that breaks down Sean's walls, even if it meant breaking down a few of his own. It's a message of love that people, especially our young people, need to hear today. Not everyone is a loser. Not everyone will betray you. Yes they will all fail you at one point or another, but most of your friends will ask forgiveness and move on. A true friend will be there for you and there are people like that in God's family because Jesus is like that and God is molding us to be in the very image of His Son. Maybe that's why it's so easy to see the connection between Hawke and Jesus. Hawke was just doing what Jesus told us we should do.

Visit Jessica at the author's website


Purchase Forgiving Sean at
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
ScibblyGumBooks


There is more information about Forgiving Sean, by Jessica Adriel, but you know what? I'm going to let you search for it. I will, however, give you the following links to where other reviews can be found. What I am not going to give you are the accompanying dates when they will post their reviews. In fact some may actually post on the same day, while other days nothing new will be posted. So it's like a scavenger hunt. I hope you enjoy this. Please leave your "mark" on the different blogs you visit. God speed.

Check out these other member blogs this week for more info.




IMPORTANT
The Christian Fiction Review Blog (known as CFRB) is a ministry that promotes quality Christian fiction in order that the Gospel of Jesus Christ may be shared with others who might hear it in a context that they would appreciate and understand. Each book is "previewed" in order to maintain the quality and content of the book. Books that are accepted for blog tours are given to the members by the author to review, according to the number of members requesting a copy. It is the belief and practice of CFRB to post positive reviews as a type of payment for these books. However, I want to emphasize again that these books first go through a preview stage where they are deemed of a high enough quality to tour.

3 comments:

Christy--Southern Sassy Girl said...

David,

Your posts are always so insightful, and I have to agree with your opinion of Hawke. I, too, have judged people solely based on their outward appearance without thinking that they might be my brother or sister in Christ. It's always good to be reminded of that because just like David...God doesn't look at the outward appearance, but at your heart.

cathikin said...

Great insights on Hawke

David said...

Thank you both. I really must emphasize that it took a miracle of the heart to get to where I am now. I'd see a Goth and I'd think "Eeewww!". Then God got ahold of me and showed me that He loved them just as much as He loved me. Then when I looked at them I saw something different. I saw a people searching for the truth, willing to endure ridicule if they could just find the Truth. The problem was people like me where causing them to turn around and walk out of the churc.. Once I started looking at the inside I saw some really beautiful people.

Pageviews past week