Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Monday, April 05, 2010

THE MUSE, by Fred Warren


Monday - When I was contacted to review and tour THE MUSE, by Fred Warren I looked at the cover and thought, "You've got to be kidding." After reading this book, which incidentally came late, but was read in a little over 2 days...almost a record-breaking speed for me, I was convinced that this is not just your "hole in the wall" book that you see a lot of in small pubs and self pubs. This is an extraordinary piece of literary work. Okay enough of the accolades. Let's talk some about the book.

While the book is about good verses evil (aren't the all?) this book centers around writers and the struggles they go through to write. An odd place to start, but one I'm sure Mr. Warren was truly acquainted with. As a writer myself I can tell you that there are times when the writing comes so fast you can barely keep up with it. Characters appear, dialog pops into place as these characters take on a 3 dimensional fullness. Places, whether real or imagined, are seen clearly in the mind's eye. Writer's live for moments like that. Then, right in the middle of some beautiful flow of thought and writing the writer sudden stops. He/she realizes that they have been paying so much attention to what is going on they didn't realize where they were going. Like Stan Marino, we end up staring at a blank computer screen with no idea what to put down next. We have boxed ourselves into an impossible corner. Now you may wonder why a writer doesn't just go back and rewrite themselves into a different setting. I'll tell you, at least from my own personal experience, everything leading up to this impasse has been so fluid, so real, and has taken up so many words and hours to get down, that to go back, as you say, and do it over would ruin what we have, and in the process cause us an endless drudgery through re-writes that could never live up to what we have now. Of course, what we have now can never be fully told because we can't come up with an ending, or at least get through this to the next scene. That is why writers will stare at blank screens, blank pages in notebooks or in typewriters. It's why they will try one thing then another, littering the room with discarding ideas that pale in the light of what they already have written.

It is upon this phenomenon that Fred Warren builds his story. My dad tells me about being given a writing assignment as a kid. It could be about anything, but the thing is, that's too broad a field to be able to pick anything. He was stumped and didn't know what to write. He finally wrote about the difficulties of writing an essay, which his teacher loved. In the same way Fred Warren has written a story about writing a story. How cool is that? It's when he finds a "solution" to getting past his "writer's block" that adds the needed dynamics to this work, making it exciting to read. There is so much more in here and I hope I will be able to give you glimpses without giving away too much. This is a book you WILL love, especially if you are a writer yourself.

So what do we learn? The list is seemingly endless. He doesn't write to teach or preach, which he makes obvious even though he does mention that Stan is a Christian. There are just these things that keep popping up. I suppose that one of the lessons, if you insist on calling it that, would be that we all have talents, each different from everyone else, yet no less or more important. It's how we use that talent that is important. Stan likes his fantasy elvish worlds, Davos his technically correct science fiction, and Jilly her vampire novels. They don't put the others down, nor do they try to emulate the other's works. They are there to help encourage them. I would dearly like a group like this in the local area, a place where I could cry in my root beer
float with my friends, if, especially if, I would be able to help a fellow writer out. Doing that is almost more fulfilling that doing actual writing of my own. Maybe that's why I love CFRB so much. I get to do just that. I get to encourage people with talent to go out and "show off" for the Lord. Let me tell you a secret. I have a lot of fun doing it.

Don't forget to visit Fred's site found HERE

You can purchase his book at any of the following sites (although I would urge you to go to Splashdown books and help a wonderful young lady get her new company off the ground)

Splashdown Books

Barnes & Noble

Amazon


Don't forget to check out the following CFRB member's sites for other reviews and insights for THE MUSE.




[Important legal notice: This book was given to me freely by Splashdown books for the purpose of doing a review. My compensation is writing a review of the book. However, having said that I must also state that I don't even bother looking at things I feel may be of inferior quality. The works displayed on CFRB are, and have been, for the most part, exemplary in their quality and content]

3 comments:

Grace Bridges said...

I'm curious! Why the "you've got to be kidding"? haha.
btw that's my brother on the cover :)

Fred Warren said...

David,

I'm glad you enjoyed my story, and thanks for featuring it in this month's blog.

I had a lot of fun writing about Stan and his friends. The writing club was one of my first surprises as the story developed--I had a pretty good handle on Stan and his family, and I knew Stan probably had some writer friends, but I didn't expect them to become such a big part of the story. It's funny--before I began writing seriously, I'd always thought of writing as a very solitary pursuit. It didn't take long to discover the power of having like-minded friends who would exchange both commiseration and honest critiques with me.

David said...

The cover didn't seem to convey the book, or didn't seem to draw me in. I watched the bloopers and your brother did get into character. It just didn't seem to come out on the cover, in my opinion, which is minimal.

You're right Fred. I started writing thinking of it as a solitary venture, then I realized how many people it took to put my book together. I was humbled. I guess I felt more like the executive secretary that was in charge of presenting a nearly perfect proposal to my boss than a writer in retrospect. However, I do like the writing process, including joining with others so they can help me write and I can help them write. I'm a member of Deadly Ink, a mystery writer's group in New Jersey (USA) and I love it.

Pageviews past week