Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

THE MUSE, by Fred Warren


Tuesday - The Seventh Circle of Hell. Hope that doesn't offend anyone, but it's the name of the writing group that Stan Marino and his friends started. It is actually more of a whine and complain group than a real writer's group. That's because Davos, Jilly and Stan have all run into obstacles in their current works. What struck me was the choice of a name for their group. According to Wikipedia the 7th Circle of Hell is a particular level reserved for sinners committing violent offenses. While these three writer geeks are hardly violent, they seem to have brought violence into their group by the mere name itself. This works out later in the book. Sure they may write about violence, but they are pretty nerdy people, not truly violent in reality.

I have a pastor who harps on the fact that what you confess locates you in your faith. Applying this to the members of the Seventh Circle of Hell, we find that they have, but simply choosing this name, located their faith, who they are, and created the blockages they moan and groan about it. I half expected them to change the name and in so doing extricate themselves from the problems they now face. Fred Warren wasn't going to let them off that easy, and in a very real sense, I'm glad for it.

What about you? Have you found yourself claiming something that is both negative and turns into a reality in your life? From time to time I find myself doing this. Then when I begin to remind myself of who I am in Christ, and in the eyes of God, praises begin to flow out of my mouth and my situation changes. Well, maybe not the situation, but my ability to handle the situation. Since I've already brought hardship into my life it isn't going to suddenly disappear. My ability to stand up under these hardships has changed, however, because I'm letting Jesus carry the load. 1st Cor. 10:13 tells us that we haven't been tempted beyond what we are able, but that with the temptation God always provides a way of escape. A close reading of that verse, however, shows you that the way of escape is actually through the problem and in Christ. Jesus is our way of escape, but the situation hasn't changed except that He now carries our baggage. That's a fantastic truth to carry with you always.

Don't forget to visit Fred's site found HERE

You can purchase his book at any of the following sites (although I would urge you to go to Splashdown books and help a wonderful young lady get her new company off the ground)

Splashdown Books

Barnes & Noble

Amazon


Don't forget to check out the following CFRB member's sites for other reviews and insights for THE MUSE.




[Important legal notice: This book was given to me freely by Splashdown books for the purpose of doing a review. My compensation is writing a review of the book. However, having said that I must also state that I don't even bother looking at things I feel may be of inferior quality. The works displayed on CFRB are, and have been, for the most part, exemplary in their quality and content]

2 comments:

Fred Warren said...

Ah, "The Seventh Circle of Hell Writers' Society." An odd name for an odd group, but you've gotten to the essence of it, David.

It is, of course, a reference to Dante's Inferno, in which the protagonist takes a guided tour of Hell. The Seventh Circle is where those who commit violence are punished, and for our little club of literary nerds, it's a tongue-in-cheek reference to both the violence they're doing to art (with their sub-standard writing) and the violence they're doing to themselves (subjecting themselves to a seemingly endless string of rejections) The realm is also surrounded by archers who shoot everyone who tries to escape, much like the editors who keep shooting down our heroes' work.

Of course, I never explained this in the story, partly because everyone connected with the group would already know what it means and wouldn't elaborate on an in-joke, and I also thought it would be better to leave the interpretation to the reader, who would probably come up with something more insightful without my help, which is exactly what you've done here.

Stan and company are stuck where they are in large part because they've created their own prison. "I'm not good enough." "Nobody understands my work." "No matter how hard I try, I can't make any progress." They can't see past the label of "frustrated writer." It blinds them to the inspiration that's right in front of their eyes and makes them vulnerable to anyone who seems to offer a way to escape, even when they know in their hearts it's the wrong solution.

David said...

I'm glad the author of this extraordinary work agrees with my observations. I'd hate to take something and spin off into another direction. You have a real awesome book here and I expect to see more of the same. I truly enjoyed it.

Pageviews past week