Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Wednesday, July 07, 2010

THE DUKE'S HANDMAID, by Caprice Hokstad

Wednesday - A new slave. In The Duke's Handmaid, an Itzi free woman is taken in by the Duke of Latoph while he avenges the deaths visited upon her family. Here Keedrina sees life much differently than she imagined. The duke is kind and just with all members of his household, and treats even his slaves with gentleness and kindness. She decides that she wants to be his slave forever. This is the basis for this book. It's not that Keedrina, who later is known simply as kee, is romantically in love, but that she can think of no other place she would rather be. She's not about to fight with the duchess over him, but will content herself to serve in his house.

We are all slaves, the Bible tells us. Like kee, we have the ability to choose who we wish to have mastery over us. Most of us feel like we are trapped by some cruel task master, or don't even know we are acting like slaves. Yet Jesus says that no one can serve two masters, either you will love the one and hate the other, or you will cling to one and reject the other (my own paraphrase). The apostle Paul takes this further, saying that what we do shows who we are slaves to. Do you work for money, and place it above everything? Then money is your god, your master. Do you speak foul things? That is because those foul things have become your master. How about the many other carnal desires that we have? We are all under the same temptations and have the same choices placed before us. Yet if we will let our spiritual eyes be opened we will see One greater than Duke Vahn, who wishes to be our Master, our Lord, and it is Jesus. If we would only allow Him to come in and be our Master, then we would share in all the honors that are associated with His house, but more importantly, we would have a special fellowship with this most loving of all Masters. You see, we were created to be "mastered" and molded into the Bride of Christ. But it takes making not simply one decision, but a daily commitment to the true Master. He will never force Himself on us, but if we truly wish to please Him then we will ask what He would like for us to do and then see that it is done. No master better deserves our servitude than the Lord Jesus Christ. Will you choose this day which master you will serve? Will you continually submit yourself to the Lord that He might be pleased with you in all things.

When kee went to the Institute for Training and Correction (ITC) Lord Blackthorn reported to Duke Vahn that the only fear that she has was being rejected from his household. What about you? What about me? As Christians our only fear should be that somehow we would be so dishonorable in our service to our Lord that He would refuse us. We should serve Him out of a love that fears being separated from that love. The question is, are we? For this reason kee becomes the most dynamic and powerful character I've ever read about in contemporary fiction. Interesting, because she doesn't have superpowers or is she especially talented more than others. No, everything is tied into a love that refuses to fail her master. I challenge myself, and I challenge each of you, to enter into service to the Lord with as much dedication.


Visit Caprice's website.

Purchase The Duke's Handmaid from
Splashdown Books.

(Coming soon to Amazon and Barnes & Noble) For a limited time, the .pdf eBook is FREE from Lulu or get the Kindle version from Amazon for just 99 cents!

Check out these other member blogs this week for more info.



IMPORTANT:
According to Federal law I have to tell that I received this book for free so I can do a review. Such a statement is meant to question the actual value of the book, so I want to set your minds at ease. Although in 2007 I did receive a free, pre-release copy of her book to do a review I have deemed it, even in its original form, of a quality high enough to give Caprice Hokstad a 2nd tour with CFRB. In other words, for this tour I have used the older version, knowing that the work deserved another tour. As far as a fantasy is concered The Duke's Handmain a book that, by it's quality, stands alone among many naturally gifted and well known writers. If you own a copy of this book, I believe that somewhere down through time you are going to say, "Caprice Hokstad? Of course I've heard of her. Her work is amazing." And you will feel a special glow because you will have purchased this book before she became famous, which I totally believe she will become. No one paid me to say that.

2 comments:

Caprice Hokstad said...

Thank you, David, for another thought-provoking review. Sometimes I wonder, "Did I really say all that?" I always find it fascinating what different people find and take away from my simple little story.

David said...

I feel the same way when I re-read my own work after letting it sit for a while. It reminds me of something my dad once told me. He said that (while preaching) you can tell if God is speaking through you if it sounds like you are standing there listening to someone else. I find that in a lot of the good Christian fiction this is true. The Holy Spirit gets ahold of it and does things that we never thought possible.

Pageviews past week