Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Saturday, October 09, 2010

LEGENDARY SPACE PILGRIMS, by Grace Bridges


Today I'd like to talk a little about the author, Grace Bridges. Of the many authors I've read and even keep in contact with via email, Grace is one of the few authors I've had the privilege to actually meet, and that is largely because of the kind of person she is. To understand that statement let me go back in time and give you an historical account of how I came in contact with Grace Bridges and what I've seen over the years.

When CFRB was starting up we were looking for authors who couldn't find a means to promote their books. They were from small presses, unknown, didn't meet the Christian Bookseller Association's requirements. I stumbled upon another blog called the Lost Genre Guild. Primarily run by Frank Creed and Cynthia MacKinnon, LGG focuses on Biblical Speculative Fiction, or BibSpecFic, as they call it. On there was a very active and vocal young woman named Grace Bridges. She contacted me and soon after joined CFRB (while maintaining her ties with LGG) Then she started to talk to members of LGG about us and we started filling our members ranks with some truly wonderful people.

I found that Grace was doing work in Germany, an interpreter I believe, but was of Irish descent (hence the term Kiwi in her bio), yet her homeland was New Zealand. I found this to be strange. How could a young girl be living halfway around the world from her home? Yet, that was the case. She introduced me to her father (online of course). Sadly he died this past year.

When her tour of work in Germany was over she went to Africa for a "vacation", then made a lengthy pit stop in the country of her ancestry, Ireland, where she took many pictures. That's another thing about Grace. She's a shutterbug, capturing everything she sees, if she can, with her camera. And if she can get you to, do be surprised if she starts to interview you while the video mode is on. She's put together more videos than I can count. She's also a workaholic ;-) Even on vacation she will settle in at night to write out "a few thousand words" of her latest project.

After Ireland Grace intended to meet as many CFRB and LGG members as she could on her way across the U.S. making her way home. I forget the count, but you can find a video about that on her site as well. And that is how I met Grace...coming off the train in Port Jervis, NY. I was embarrassed to put her up in a rundown old hotel, but as it happens, the owner is a Christian. So she was even instrumental in my meeting him. She made all these stops across the U.S. and even took in a Steve Chapman concert, then finally headed home. We started receiving pictures of her beautiful homeland, her family, where she was staying, and even the designs she was working on for Legendary Space Pilgrim's cover. We heard music, laughter, were treated to guided tours of various places in New Zealand and more.

Grace Bridges is like a spark plug. If you get close enough to her the spark in her will ignite your engine. She does this by being so filled with life herself. So when she started Splashdown Books I wasn't really surprised. If anyone could make a go of it that person would have to be Grace Bridges. She has her 2 books, of course, Faith Awakened and Legendary Space Pilgrims, and Alpha Redemption, by P.T. Baines (which was mentioned as noteworthy in Brandilyn Collins' newsletter by the way along with Splashdown Books) and has signed on Caprice Hokstad for her books, which previously had been self-published.

If you think I'm stretching things, maybe just a hair, let me tell you, I've just touch the surface. Now I'm not really here to give Grace a big head or anything. She is totally sold on reaching the world through the written word. Anyone who knows her understands that. She's on Shoutlife, Facebook, LinkedIn and a number of other networks, some of which I had to cut out of my own life because I couldn't keep up.

All in all I think Grace Bridges understands what it means to "redeem the times", to "occupy until I come", because that is precisely what she is doing. I, and many others I know, are proud to know her. Does she have all the answers? No. Is she perfect? No, not yet at least, but she's making a better effort than many others I've known for years and years. It is my sincere prayer that she would continue to be available to the Lord in all things and as she does, be blessed. It's nice knowing I have a sister in Christ that I can truly be proud of, and it has been a privilege to call her so and to call her my friend. God bless the works of your hands Grace. - David

Grace is the owner and editor of Splashdown Books. She's a Kiwi of Irish descent living in beautiful New Zealand, and a chocaholic cat-lovin' Trekkie, Jesus freak, web designer, and all-round DIY gal who also takes care of the Lost Genre Guild Blog. Visit Grace's Blog for links to all her interests.


Purchase Legendary Space Pilgrims from
Amazon, Barnes and Noble, or Splashdown Books.

Check out these other member blogs this week for more info.

2 comments:

Grace Bridges said...

woah...thanks dude! you're too much. Many of those things I find completely unremarkable...us Kiwis (New Zealanders) like to travel far, for one thing. You'll find us everywhere. And as for writing on a novel while unable to sleep for jetlag? Pshaw.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. I often feel I'm doing so little, and so slowly.

David said...

I wish I could keep up with your "slow" pace. I don't hand out this kind of praise easily. What I saw, and still see, is Christ in action. Keep your eyes on Jesus and all will go well with you. Take your eyes off Him and expect disaster. God bless you sis.

David

Pageviews past week