Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Thursday, November 11, 2010

ALPHA REDEMPTION, by P.A. Baines


As I've said on a number of occasions, Brett is a broken man. Who wouldn't be following the death of his wife and kids? The thing is we all have our own ways of dealing with this kind of pain, most of them harmful to us. Brett's way is to isolate himself from others and to get drunk. After the first leap into hyperspace Jay asks him if he would like something to drink. His first request is beer. His second request is gin. The isolation thing he thinks he has down. I mean the only "person" there is the computer, Jay. Because of speed and distance any communication from earth lags way behind. So he's not in touch with anyone. Yet the request for booze seems interesting in that he isn't really in that much pain. Mostly he's been able to push his memories down so deep that he doesn't have to face them. So we see destructive behaviors can become habits. Both isolation and drinking to get drunk are detrimental to one's health, but even when he is more or less stable he clings to them both, well, as much as he can. Seems Jay can't russle up the beer or gin he wants.

Jesus knows all about us. He knows what we will turn to in our times of weakness. He knows all about our sorrow and pain. For this reason He said, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls." (Matthew 11:28,29) Jesus knows that we cannot bear the trials of this life by ourselves, so He offers to take them upon Himself. It is interesting that Jesus doesn't say your burdens will disappear, in fact He says to "Take my yoke upon you", which sounds like adding another burden. The thing I've come to realize is the way we think is often the exact opposite to the way God works. You give to receive, you die to become alive, so comes as no surprise that here He tells us to take up His burden so that we would be set free of ours. If we remember that God is working in us to perfect us and make us more like His Son, then it begins to make sense. My dad pointed out a Scripture to me one day when I was a teenager. He had picked it to be his "verse for the year" as he put it. It was 1st Corinthians 10:13, "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." You see, God isn't about going around obstacles or looking for easy ways out. Instead He is about using every circumstance to make us stronger. Our obstacles become stepping stones and Jesus is our Foundation. We need to get into a different mindset instead of letting things get to us. We need to allow God to use things to make us like His Son.

We can be like Brett and fall into habits that take us down, or we can use the temptation and the power of the Holy Spirit to create in us truly God-like people. I don't know about you, but when I go to my real Home I want the Father to look at me and say, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant. Enter in to the joy of the Lord."

Be sure to visit:
Splashdown Book's Alpha Redemption page

In addition to being able to purchase the book there you can find it on the following sites:

Splashdown Books
Amazon
Barnes and Noble.

Check out these other member blogs this week for more info.


Legal Stuff

By law I have to tell you that I received this book for free in order to write a review of this book. The review, is therefore, in their opinion, payment for the book. I have received this book for the express purpose of writing a review. This is true. However I would not have requested it were it not a quality work. My payment is to Mr. Baines as a tribute to the quality and message of this work. It is only right that I should do so.

No comments:

Pageviews past week