Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Tuesday, December 07, 2010

War of Attrition, by Frank Creed


Tuesday - This is hard for me to do a day at a time. I usually have everything up the Saturday before the tour, but God provided and by His grace I'll get through this just fine.

Attrition. It's an actual word and Frank Creed gives the definition in the book:

at•tri•tion [ə trishi’n] n.
1. loss of personnel: the gradual reduction of the size of a work force that occurs when personnel lost through retirement or resignation are not replaced
2. wearing away of surface: the wearing away of a surface, typically by friction or abrasion
3. weakening by persistent attack: the gradual wearing away of morale and the powers of resistance by persistent attacks
4. sorrow for sin: remorse for sin engendered by the fear of damnation

I'm almost done with the book and the thing that sticks out in my mind is how the enemy wears away at you, first from one angle, then from another. We start out with Calamity Kid running dangerously low on "get up and go" energy reserves. He needs rest, but situations don't seem to give him the chance to rest. The author inserts an interesting character into the book to remind David (aka Calamity Kid) that our circumstances are no reason not to seek out peace in God. He is our "Burden Bearer".

CK isn't the only one having problems. The BoC cell faces division because of Heartbreaker. (She doesn't like that name, but I'm not giving out the real name so you'll have to read the book) Then a BoC sniper is pegged with attempting to kill the top Nero, only he didn't do it. An internal investigation further wears at the cell. Word about another target comes in and, well, they find themselves captive. They got blind-sided.

That ever happen to you? You know, you've been struggling with something for a long time and finally get the victory (thanks to the Lord) and WHAM, right in the middle of your praises another temptation you hadn't even considered slams you right back down to the mat? I know I have. The thing is we have to be diligent at all times. We can't let down our guard, not even for a moment, because when we do we are out from under God's protection and Satan is really good as a sniper. In War of Attrition CK goes through this and the Holy Spirit talks to him about being serious about his prayer life. You know it's one thing to shoot up a prayer every now and then and quite another to spend time with our Heavenly Father. That's a primo key to getting the "spiritwalking" straight. So all you lads and lassies out there, when you pray, pray hard, and pray often. Get right up in God's face and tell Him you love Him. Spend as much time there as if you needed to be there to breathe. If you do you'll find His Spirit working through you in ways you can't possibly imagine.




Be sure to visit Frank Creed at his blog. He's a really interesting and complex guy. You can find him HERE.

Or visit THE UNDERGROUND (but I don't think it's been kept up as good as his blog)



On sale - online at these locations:

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

Books a Million

Check out these other member blogs this week for more info.


Legal stuff
This is where I'm supposed to tell you that I'm doing this review in exchange for a free copy of his book. Well, if that were the case it wouldn't make his book any less compelling. The fact is I'm trying to do these reviews from an e-copy of his book because I haven't received his in the mail yet. I don't review garbage. If I have to I'll send the book back. In this case I'm doing the review with nothing but a e-file of the book. So you be the judge. Am I really doing this to get a free book? Or perhaps am I doing this because I want others to learn about the grace and love of Jesus Christ?

2 comments:

Frank Creed said...

David--
I love the metaphors that you see in your first read through a book. You're picking out and stringing together things that I expect to go over readers heads. It's so nice to witness someone "getting it". It's very rare that a writer gets this kind of feedback.
Most Christian novels have a character that must be saved by the end of the book. I don't play by the usual rules, and it is indeed Heartbreaker (I'm going too hear from her about using this name), who fears for her sins. Behind everything is the doubt that a loving God could ever forgive her for what she's done. One would think Calamity Kid could pick-up on this, but he's a little daft sometimes.
Again, bravo. I expect nothing less from a Brollier review--thank you!

David said...

I like to think God gave me a gift of seeing Him in almost everything, so He brings to mind things others may not readily see. I give Him the glory, and hope that I can be diligent in saying what He wants me to say, both in my reviews and in talking with people.

Pageviews past week