Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Thursday, December 09, 2010

War of Attrition, by Frank Creed


Thursday - There is a glimpse of something here that I wouldn't have seen earlier. In fact I just learned it yesterday. Back to WoA. Calamity Kid is struggling to hold himself and other things together. He's worn out, nearly at the end of his rope, so to speak. He's trying to walk in the Spirit as best as he can, but he forgot one thing. He forgot that he's on the enemy's hit parade. Oh, sure he keeps bringing it up, but he forgets, I think, that there is a difference between the Nasty Neros and "wickedness in high places". The real enemy isn't any human being, but the devils and imps that are motivating them. As such he gets blindsided. It almost brings the whole story to an end. That's how crucial this point is, and I think that is what Frank is trying to get across to us.

In real life the minute you ask Jesus to come in and be your Lord and Savior you make yourself a target for the enemy. I know I've said that before, but I'd like to approach this a little different. In Matthew 12:29 Jesus talks about binding the strong man. Now I always thought that this was our will, and if we let our will be bound anyone could come in and mess with us. Yet if you read this in context (go back to verse 24) you'll see that Jesus is talking about how He has the authority and power to bind the strong man, to enter into the enemy's domain and to plunder it. Think about that for a moment. Think hard because Jesus said that He gives us the same authority, in His name, and the power of the Holy Spirit to do the same thing.

Let's look at the dynamics of this. I used to be a Correctional Officer. There were times when I was assigned to a forced cell move. This special squad is made up of several members, the chief among them is the "point man" or strong man. He has one job and one job only, and that is to pin the inmate against the wall while the other members of the squad come in and cuff him up. Then they all remove him to another cell. This is how the demonic strong men work. They are demonic spirits that come up against us and press us into a place where we cannot get free. We are held there while the other little imps and devils run around and bind up other areas of our life. Finally we are in complete bondage. However, if we realize who we are in Christ and exercise the authority we have because He lives in us and the power given us by the Holy Spirit then we can bind the strong man. When Jesus was talking about this it was in reference to casting out demons. So he was saying He had the right, the power and authority to bind up that strong man, go into a person, and order a demon to leave. You and I have that same power and authority if we are in Jesus.

Later on we see CK learning this truth as well. Like the rest of us he practically has to hit bottom in order to learn this truth. And this isn't a magic bullet either. It's something we have to exercise, to learn, and we have to be obedient to Christ or we are not truly in Him. So if we want to have this power and authority it is a good thing to check our relationship with Jesus. Just like you might go out and check the branches of a tree or a vine to see if they are still solidly in the tree, and if not do what we can to secure them back, so also we must check to see if we are fully in the True Vine. If we are not then we need to repent and get that right. God is looking, not so much for perfection, although that is what the Bible says, but those willing to be obedient and repentant and humble. In this way we are making sure that we are walking in the authority and power of God, but not only that, we will be fruitful. Repent, humble yourselves, seek God and enjoy the power as He binds up the strong man in your life.





Be sure to visit Frank Creed at his blog. He's a really interesting and complex guy. You can find him HERE.

Or visit THE UNDERGROUND (but I don't think it's been kept up as good as his blog)


On sale - online at these locations:

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

Books a Million

Check out these other member blogs this week for more info.


Legal stuff
This is where I'm supposed to tell you that I'm doing this review in exchange for a free copy of his book. Well, if that were the case it wouldn't make his book any less compelling. The fact is I'm trying to do these reviews from an e-copy of his book because I haven't received his in the mail yet. I don't review garbage. If I have to I'll send the book back. In this case I'm doing the review with nothing but a e-file of the book. So you be the judge. Am I really doing this to get a free book? Or perhaps am I doing this because I want others to learn about the grace and love of Jesus Christ?

2 comments:

Frank Creed said...

I tried to show the spiritual aspects of what had been happening--when Calamity Kid and crew leave the Ash Arcology and see smoky smudges of demons fighting each other on the lawn. I fear that was too subtle and will only confuse readers, but His will be done in the matter.
Nice post.

David said...

I didn't think you were all the subtle. You were subtle enough to put such a dynamic truth in a story without distracting the reader, but the point, I thought, was well made. The presence of both angels and demons you point out clearly in this work without going into some doctrinal kind of explanation. "They're there!" is what you say. That's it, and that is one of the reasons you are such a good writer.

David

Pageviews past week