Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Thursday, May 26, 2011

What is Edgy Writing

Nike Chillemi talks about this in an interview at Inkwell Inspirations. She and a number of other writers made some good comments. What I'd like to do is take a look at things as if we were talking about Jesus. I'm sure some out there will think I'm committing blasphemy, but I assure you I'm not. All I am doing is trying to provide a means to look at writing differently that it has been in the past.

For me, even as a writer, Jesus is my example. He told parables. I tell parables. True the parables of Jesus weren't necessarily 100,000 words or more in length. Still, I think we can still use Jesus as an example.

With the Last Days hub bub still fresh in our minds I offer you the following. Suppose Jesus wasn't edgy? What would the account in Matthew read like. Here's a version you may find humorous, although there are people actually doing this and thinking they are being very spiritual.

You remember the occasion. Jesus and His disciples are returning from Jerusalem after some teaching and a triumphal entry. As they are walking up the hillside they look down into the city and can see the beautiful Temple there. They motion to Jesus and talk about how beautiful this was.

Now, if Jesus was not edgy, He may have said something like this, "Yes, it sure is beautiful."
However, what Jesus actually said was, "I tell you the truth, the time is coming when not one stone will be left upon another."

Sexy? No. Edgy? Absolutely. Because of His answer it caused the disciples to ask the following questions, "Master, when shall these things take place, and what shall be the sign of Your coming?" They were asking Jesus two things. They wanted to know when what He spoke about would come to pass, but they also wanted to know when Jesus would return to set up His kingdom on earth.

The non-edgy response would have been something like this: Jesus had His disciples sit down on the hillside. Once they were seated He pulled out His dispensational chart and began to explain how different things would happen in different dispensations, and how we would then be able to understand when His coming was getting close.

Or He might have said, "Gee guys, that's a tough one. I think the answer is in Scripture somewhere, but I haven't found it yet."

However, Jesus, again being edgy actually said, "Of the time and hour no man knows, not even the Son of Man."

Edgy writing is writing that challenges. It's raw, blunt, honest, or whatever word you want to use to describe it. The thing about being blunt or honest is some people usually get hurt. Consider the scribes and Pharisees who Jesus called nothing but whitewashed tombs, or a brood of vipers. If Jesus were not edgy He may have said something like, "Fellas, could you please keep your voices down?" Or worse, "Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you."

In the words of Brad Stine, while we are not to intentionally offend people, if they are offended because we speak the truth, good. That's how you know you don't have it.

Our society is filled with people who don't want to offend others. This thinking has shifted over to the Christian publishers, and they don't want to offend people. Actually they don't want the words their writers write to offend people. They have no problem offending us with a watered down gospel that is no gospel at all, but is, in fact cursed. They "strain at the gnat and swallow the camel" so to speak. They are so busy saying their writers can't use this word or that word that they are unaware that they are masking the blunt truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I'm not for being sensational. I'm not for adding sex, violence or profanity just for shock value. I am, however, for an honest representation of the characters in a story. Right now I have a book I'm working on and some of the characters are Gothic kids, basically fringe pagans. However, I'm to have them speaking with the same clean mouths that mature Christian characters use. This is an affront to me and to the Gospel of the Lord whom I serve. I'm not saying to go out of the way to pepper my work with profanity, but let me be edgy. Let me show you that there is darkness and there is light, and those in darkness act and speak differently than those who walk in the Light of Jesus Christ.

Jesus, edgy? Interesting. Ever notice how many miracles Jesus performed on the Sabbath. Was He just trying to tick the Pharisees off, or was Jesus just being edgy? We are called to complete the task that He set out to do. He has given us all authority in Heaven and earth, and has sent us out. We are to allow His Holy Spirit to move us, motivate us, and give us the words to speak. In other words, we are called to be edgy. "You are in the world, but not of the world." The world is dying, in part, because they don't see any difference between the non-Christian and the Christian. I say it's time to get edgy. It's time to throw off the cozy gospel and start speaking the Truth.

No comments:

Pageviews past week