Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Monday, June 27, 2011

Gideon's Torch, by Chuck Colson with Ellen Vaughn



This should have come out in July, and I apologize for that. I actually got busy reading another novel and forgot about posting my reviews on this one.

Gideon's Torch is an excellent example of just how complex the abortion issue is, not to mention how emotionally and politically charged. While I didn't find it as riveting as some books I've read, I was really impressed with the way Colson brought in these various perspectives and how they played off of each other.

The book starts off with a doctor, one who volunteered her time, going to an abortion clinic and finding herself at the receiving end of a pistol. This just happens to be just prior to the swearing in of a new president. So not only is this action a clear act of murder, but it jump-starts an already emotional issue over abortion. President-elect Griswald has already made it clear that he will defend a woman's right to an abortion. So he sees this as a clear attack on his office.

This could be pulled right from the pages of our newspapers or magazines. Let me set the record straight. I am opposed to abortion, but I do not now, nor have I ever supported violence as an appropriate action to oppose the killing of the unborn. Killing to protect killing is nonsense, and yet there are those who are so radical in their beliefs they believe they have the right to kill others or blow up buildings to protect the rights of the unborn.

In Gideon's Torch we are introduced to several different Pro-Life views, as well as a number of Pro-Choice views. You wouldn't think that there would be differing views in either camp, but there are. You find levels of acceptance of their particular view. Colson wants to give us the whole picture, show us how they interlace with one another as well as the cause and reaction to these views. We get a feel of the political climate right from the beginning, but as the new administration begins to clamp down on anti-abortion "terrorists" we also find a leader of a non-violent anti-abortion group being forced to take a stand. If you want a fast reader that gives you a good insight into the abortion issue I would refer you to Prophet, by Frank Peretti, but if you want to understand all the political ramifications, all up and down the social structure, then
you'll want to read Gideon's Torch, by Charles Colson.

To purchase a copy of this book click on one of the following links:

Amazon


Barnes & Noble

Oh, as far as the legal mumbo, jumbo goes, I did NOT receive this free to do a review. I read the book and offer my review. It is not in exchange for anything. It is simply to further the Kingdom of God, something Mr. Colson and I share.

2 comments:

Audi S4 Turbo said...

its nice to read a useful article for beginner like me. Some of points from this article are very helpful for me as I haven’t considered them yet. I would like to say thank you for sharing this cool article. Bookmarked and sharing for friends.

David said...

I'm glad you found the review useful. If you'd like further correspondence with me email me direct at davidbrollier@yahoo.com. I'd be happy to hear from you.

God bless, and thanks for sharing this with your friends.

David

Pageviews past week