Join CFRB on Yahoo

DVD Review



I apologize for not being more active, but not having other reviewers or books to review, it's been a little difficult. However I want to let you know about this wonderful DVD "God's Not Dead." Working at the library I found it on our shelves and took it home. When I brought it back I raved about it. I wanted to take it out again, but it seems word gets around. It's always on hold for someone else. That's great.

The opening scene is in a freshman college philosophy class. The professor states he is an atheist, and asks that if everyone will sign a paper with 3 little words on it he can dispense of the dust and get to the subject. Those 3 words are "God Is Dead." One student cannot sign that. He is given 3 chances to argue the case of the existence of God before the class.

Fueled by hate on one side and a determined love of God on the other this is not your simple movie. The poor kid researches and goes off on a journey of his own to state his case. The end is nothing short of amazing. I guess telling people stuff like this is one of the reasons I can't get a hold of it a second time. It's really that good.

For more you can go here:
http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/synopsis

To purchase a copy try these links:
Amazon
ChristianBook.com
Barnes & Noble

May our Lord be with you now and always. Remember, God is in control, even when things look like they're crashing all around you. David

Saturday, September 17, 2011

IMMANUEL'S VEINS, by Ted Dekker


While Ted Dekker is a writer of the Christian horror genre, Immanuel's Veins is unlike anything else I've read by him. Perhaps the most powerful part of this story isn't about the vampire-like myth that it revolves around, but about one man's journey from darkness to the Light. For Toma did not believe in a god, or if there was one he figured it was of no concern to him. He had become a hero in his own right, and in his mind, perhaps, one might say he became his own god. I have always thought that the greatest anti-God is self. God calls it pride. Whatever term you may use, when you put yourself on a throne that is not yours to sit upon you can be sure of one thing....trouble. So it was with Toma. He followed his warrior instincts and ended up facing his own lusts, and at that juncture the demon made himself known. Toma is wise enough to conclude that if there is a devil there must be a God. He is further sure that only this God knows how to defeat this devil.

And so we find ourselves nearing the end of the story. I'm not going to spill everything, but I do wish to point out some truly remarkable issues Dekker makes clear. First, Toma, being unschooled in the Word of God, goes to the only place he can think of for help...the church. So many in our world are doing the very same thing. They have run into their own demons and realize that the only way to defeat those devils is known by those who know God, so they go to church in search of that key to unlock the power of God against these demons and set them free. Second, Toma finds a priest who not only chastises him for climbing onto the holy sanctuary in muddy boots. After listening to Toma's story, at Toma's insistence, the priest advises him to set out the following morning at dawn. Yet it is at dawn the priest arrives to put Toma into prison.

I want to make this very clear. I want every visitor to understand what is being said here, for it is one of those great unfortunate truths. There are many people in the world who are searching for the Truth, although they don't really know what that may be. Instinctively the first place they search, in most cases, is the church. It doesn't matter what Christian denomination, because to them they all serve the same God. What happens next is so horrible I can hardly contain myself, for many people calling themselves Christians will outright bar these people from their services, or make them feel so uncomfortable that they will never return again. What? Are we so perfect that we can both judge and condemn those who walk through our doors? We are like people in a lifeboat of a sinking ship throwing firebombs at anyone else who might try to enter the boat and find safety. Instead of lifeguards many have become vessels of death. Instead of compassionate people many have become judges.

I once had a dream, it was a personal chastisement, but I wish to share it with you. In my dream I was walking along the sidewalk, when suddenly a great earthquake shook beneath my feet. Behind me the sidewalk had opened up into a great, bottomless cavern. The sidewalk itself had been tipped up at an angle of at least 45%, but it didn't seem to affect me. Others slid by me and held on with their last ounce of strength to the edge of the gaping hole behind me. I then heard God telling me to reach out and help those who were dying. In my dream I found that I could pull people up if they would take my hand, and it wouldn't pull me in. My strength, you see, was in Jesus. He was the foundation upon which I stood, while the world slid past me towards destruction. I share this with you because perhaps you too realize those in our world are slipping past you towards an eternal punishment. I say to you, if you truly are living in Christ, then His power lives in you. You have the power and the command to reach out and save any who would receive the message of Hope in Christ.

Do they have earrings or other piercings? So what? Are they dressed improperly? That is not yours to judge. Do they say vulgar things or listen to vulgar things? What of it? Are they doing drugs, smoking, lustful, or any other thing? Does it matter at this point? We tend to judge people in the most unacceptable of ways. Yes, there are all kinds of people, doing all kinds of things that we know God may not be pleased with, but that is not ours to decide. We are simply to be, as Jesus put it, "Fishers of men." If this is true, then let me ask a question my pastor uses. "Do you clean fish before you catch them?" Those of you attempting to do so will find you have caught frightfully few "fish." Those of you willing to catch any fish, no matter how ugly or beautiful they may appear and leave the cleaning to God will find that your catch is greater. When Jesus gives the parable of the prodigal son (Luke 15) and the son returns, he's covered in pig slop, sweat, perhaps even his own vomit. Yet look how the father receives this wayward son. He throws his arms around him and kisses him. This is how we should be. Don't worry about the dirt, the pig slop, the vomit, or anything. Just throw your arms around them and receive them as those who were lost and now have found their way home. God will clean you both up and provide new clothes for you to wear. In fact, weren't some of you (and me) covered with such filth that we were amazed that God would accept us? This is how we should be. If we do not wish to be like that we had better stop calling ourselves Christians.

Be sure to visit his site: Ted Dekker

To purchase Immanuel's Veins you can find it, among other places, at:

Amazon
Barnes & Nobel
Christian Book

Legal notice: I checked this book out of the library, and am receiving NOTHING for these reviews, except the pleasure that I get from letting others know about a really great book.

1 comment:

David said...

But Immanuel's Veins are those that carry the life giving (eternal life giving) blood into the lives of all who ask. This story by Ted Dekker is a story of God's mercy, not an advertisement for some beauty product. I would really appreciate it if people would comment on the story without trying to sell their own products.

Pageviews past week