Join CFRB on Yahoo

Monday, October 03, 2011

Some Have Entertained Angels, by James Robert Wilson


I've always loved this verse from Hebrews, how we are to be mindful of strangers, for in doing so some have entertained angels. In James Robert Wilson's book derived from that verse we first meet Reg, living on the street. The feeling is that he's a bum at first. He has 37 cents and is trying to figure out how to make it last at least through the day. Enter Polly, the pastor's wife. She invites Reg to dinner, and more. In this example you can see how Reg was an angel who ministered to her and her family on several levels, but Wilson wants to take this book deeper. Reg isn't a real angel, like an angel from Heaven, but he does meet one. And this is the beginning of an incredible journey that must be read to appreciate.

The author is careful to keep his story Scripturally sound. Where there are places that speculation is used I believe he gives the reader the space to agree or disagree without harming the story. I was enthralled by many of the descriptions Wilson used in his book. This is a story teller who is at his best.

But let's go back to the initial theme, entertaining angels, or strangers. There is a real sermon here that doesn't come out that way, but needs to be heard by each of us. The pastor's wife wouldn't have been blessed in the way she was if she didn't step out of her comfort zone and reach out to those in need as the Bible teaches. Reg wouldn't have achieved his "greatness" if he didn't accept her hospitality and through that learn about a greater love shown to him by God. It was a story that he'd heard of all his life, but had strayed away from. So he entertained this strange new concept of a God who could love him regardless of all the people he hurt, all the bad he did in the past. And in doing so God met him in a special place and in a special way.

Do you think that this is just fantasy? Do you really think that this is something that can only survive in fiction? I can tell you from personal experience that when we step out of our comfort zone, when we repent of the things that displease God, He is able to meet us in some rather fantastic ways. I can list a number of things that God has worked in and through my life that would make this story seem mild by comparison, so I know God works. Perhaps the only oddity would be all these people being "children" of a Neanderthal's genes, one who had been preserved in ice over centuries. This is something that is just as much a possibility as those who talk about the sons of the Anakim for their vampire stories. In other words, it's just a vehicle to get the story out. But the truths are real. I can attest to that.

Unfortunately I was not able to find a website for James Robert Wilson. You can find his book for sale on the following sites:



Legal notice: I received this book in order to write and publish a review. My review is seen, even by me, as payment for such a service. However, let me hasten to state that this in no way diminishes what I've written. If I say a book is awesome, then I found it to be so and believe others will as well.

No comments:

Pageviews past week